What is best way to preserve wild turkey feet?

Deerthug

My son shot his first bird this past weekend and i want to mount the tail, beard and feet. What is the best way to preserve the feet so they don't stink? I've mounted tails and beards before but never feet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I tool a board and used finishing nails to position the toes as I wanted them. and tied them down with sting. Then held the leg joint into position with sting as well so it was all balanced and upright. dusted a bit of salt on the exposed joint and set the whole board in the garage for a couple months. That was 15 years ago and it looks great still. I don't thin there is much meat there to worry about. could probably bake it at low temp to speed it up. The board helps make sure that when the foot dries it sits right on whatever you display it on. (shelf)

• Like 1

That oughta end this conversation B) ...............well said CCHC.

These days all I do is save the feet whole for a few months then cut the spurs off approx. .50" above and bellow.  Then drill out the funk and hang on a string in the basement.  No goofy necklace for this guy.................. :O

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1