Late season Turkey tactics

jjb4900

I've always been a first 2 week of the season hunter, this year I won't be able to get out till the second half....for those of you who get to hunt both parts, when do you start to see the drop off in activity and are there different tactics you use for late season or do you pretty much do the same early and late season?

I'm no expert but some differences I see are "field mode" more so at end of season. Picking dandelions and bugs off the higher grasses. Field mode now is more dusting or rainy and windy days. End of season makes setting up closer to where they are roosting easier as the canopy is a lot fuller. Saw a Turkey Thug episode other night and the guys were asked which part of the season they enjoyed. All different answers. As far as drop off or tactics: I don't really see or change a thing.   

i never really get out until the 2nd week or so. Always get my birds. Last year, hunt on the 23rd, had a banner day the one hunt i did in upstate. doubled with a buddy and we had one missed shot on another bird. Dont like dealing with henned up birds early in the season.

Saything that, i hunted saturday with the bow and missed two shots (doh) on the same gobbler (no blind i might add, wait till they get behind a tree) and continued working 4 more who wouldn't walk down a steep hill.

I prefer the second half of the season over the first anyday. Also, we have a late spring this year. I think the action will lull and then the second breeding phase will be epic. Just my opinion.

Good question. I've killed birds on opening day, middle of the month and never at the end though I've seen them and heard them. This year my first opportunity to go this year will be 5/16-18. I killed my first ever on 5/17/2008 at 11:45am so i'm siked to go this year. Hoping to tag out this time. As far as tactics go I have not done anything different from early on or late season. I plan on using my motorized decoy again this year. Hoping it will bring the big Toms in to range.