Warning, Palmer's Taxidermy

bowaholic

I got a beautiful grey fox over a year ago and decided to get it mounted.  I took it to Palmer's Taxidermy in Westmoreland (same guy who introduced CWD to NY)... When I took it to him he never wrote down the form I wanted or the style of base. he said he would call me with the measurements which he never did.  about 8 months later I called and checked in on it and he said to me that he hadn't even started it but it was back from the tannery and came out "great". another 4 months go by and I called again to see if he had started and he said, "actually I just finished it" I went right down and.....wasn't my fox (mine had a scar on the nose.  he said oh yeah that's not yours, I haven't even started yours....... I was pissed, oh and guess what he asked me? what form do you want?! I sent him pictures twice of how I want my fox! so yet again I showed him how I wanted it and he tried to get me to change it because he would have to adjust the head, No I'm paying you 593 bucks your doing it how I want it now how YOU want it.... well two weeks ago he called me and it was finally done! Went down Sunday, checked for the scar and paid him, it looked okay in his shop with only sun light coming through a window... When I got it home I noticed the mouth had paint all over the white, the ears looked like crap, the hair on the back wouldn't lay down smooth, the front leg that it visible was matted down with glue, and there was a HUGE bald spot on the stomach that was visible on the shelf.... I went right back down to him and he said oh yeah I forgot to tell you about that, it came back from the tannery like that....WTF!! I told him he should have called me and told me when it came in and asked if I even wanted it done still, or told me when I picked it up.... not tell me that it came out great over the phone when you tell me its done.  He wasn't even going to give me my money back, I told him he could keep the 250$ deposit I had put down but I wanted my the balance back and to keep the fox....which he agreed to.  

It was a huge mistake taking it to someone as shady as him in the first place.  I had a bad feeling the whole time.... DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING TO HIM THAT MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU!!! He does not care about his finished product only the big $$$ you spend there.....    

Sorry for the long rant but I am PISSED and don't want anyone else to make the same mistake that I made...

post-2819-0-84706100-1399383971_thumb.jp

post-2819-0-49650900-1399383972_thumb.jp

post-2819-0-92098400-1399383972_thumb.jp

post-2819-0-29860100-1399383973_thumb.jp

post-2819-0-78991200-1399384191_thumb.jp

post-2819-0-52173100-1399384253_thumb.jp

Damn, that really sucks. That's a really nice fox. Maybe another taxidermist can fix it for you? Maybe not completely, but at least do a little work to make you happier with it.

On a side note, I actually have that same exact mold I think (but with mouth slightly open), so I guess we have the same taste! Mine are from Arizona, so they are little different colored than your NY fox.

post-871-0-00891800-1399385883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I guess we do, yours came out great! and I'm not sure if anything can be done. one of the guys I work with is a taxidermist so ill show him the pictures and see what he thinks.

Damn, that really sucks. That's a really nice fox. Maybe another taxidermist can fix it for you? Maybe not completely, but at least do a little work to make you happier with it.

On a side note, I actually have that same exact mold I think (but with mouth slightly open), so I guess we have the same taste! Mine are from Arizona, so they are little different colored than your NY fox.

Dang man, that's horrible!

There's too much competition out there for a taxi to do such shoddy work and expect to survive long.

Really a shame he screwed it up so bad. Wishing you luck finding a reputable stuffer for the next critter you want preserved!

I had a Mink freeze dried before and it looked beautiful, this was mounted on a form I can tell because of the stitches sticking up on its back and legs.  He did a deer for my dad 25+ years ago and it looks great, he just for some reason didn't care about his work this time... i'll never go to him again and I will never recommend him.  He isn't a very personable person either

Looks freeze dried not stuffed... I have known Palmer for a while and wouldn't have him stuff a pillow for me...

The color is really faded too. What ever type of tan he used or had done took that nice color in your kill pictures and made it dull. If you paid $300 bucks for it I would say you got what you paid for..but over $500..ouch. I guess follow your gut feeling next time. At least you have some nice pictures of it.