Stabilizer length

34NY

Started archery this year and have been reading about stabilizer length. Is longer better? I have an 8 inch one on there and was just wondering if a 10 or even a 12 would really improve my accuracy at all? Honestly my groupings are tight but hey who doesn't want to have an extra edge out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

It depends a lot on the bow geometry and brace height with how long you can get away with. What most people have are just aesthetic. They can help reduce shock noise and vibration if it exists enough with your bow. Other aspect is ballast, weight, and length which together will help limit effects from ill effects of grip unsmooth release and movement of pins. More so the farther out you go. You want the bow to have a slight tilt or roll forward when free in your hand. Hang bow from top cam or wheel and centered over the axle. if your rest contact point is directly under it then you're probably as front heavy as you want to go. The farther out weight has more effect or just as much as heavier weight closer to the riser. More weight slows pin floating while on target. For example my 3d bow has a carbon fiber shaft so most weight is out there at 12" for full effect yet doesn't over weight the bow. This setup is a little tough in a blind though.

I had one bow (bowtech insanity) that preferred a rear stabilizer and no front.  By contrast, I have a 12" b-stinger with 3oz on my GT-500 and no rear.  I think it takes trial and error to determine what set up slows that float down the most.  My pulse is fine with an 8" DCAP stab and some weight up front.