What am I looking for?

I have some cams out now and when checking them, I would like to be able to download them onto a device and then put the sd card back into the camera. Bring the device home and upload onto computer.

It's a PITA changing all the cards out and keeping track of them.

What do I need?

I use this Guide Gear digital photo album to preview my cards at the cam before I bring them home to upload. It's pretty reasonably priced around $40.

If there's nothing worthy on them, the card goes back in the cam. This thing lets me watch the video files from the cards also right at the cam, which is a big bonus to me.

I know it's not exactly what you're talking about, but it's the only suggestion I got that seems like it might be an option for you to consider and I think it's cheaper than the cam manufacturers models/versions.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-35-portable-digital-viewer?a=1332937

I do the same thing as Ford . It is so much easier . I have 4 cameras in Geneseo and it's about 2 miles round trip to check them out . I,m not about to haul a laptop around to upload photos . Plus a couple of the cards require the use of a card reader to see the pics . 4 GB cards are pretty cheap . I am heading there tomorrow to check the cards .

is it just a viewer? I use my digital cam for that. I want something I can put the pics onto in field and put the cards right back into the trail cam then get home and put the downloaded pics on my computer.

It also has an internal memory to copy pics off a card.

I don't have the instructions handy at the moment, but somehow I just did it.

So..., I guess this is kinda what you're looking for

I have an iPad so I bought a sd card reader for that not quiet as bulky as a laptop but also not tiny. I like it because as soon as I'm home or in wifi all the pictures go to my phone. The only down side is I can't view videos on it

I have an iPad so I bought a sd card reader for that not quiet as bulky as a laptop but also not tiny. I like it because as soon as I'm home or in wifi all the pictures go to my phone. The only down side is I can't view videos on it

I did something similar with my Android tablet. Just drop the SD card in the tablet, copy the pics and back into the camera. But even that is not so easy. I find it easier to just swap the SD cards. They are so cheap from Amazon these days(6 bucks for an 8GB card) I don’t worry about losing them.

I have a tiny laptop with a built in sd drive...it easily fits in my pack if I decide I want to harvest pics.

I can also view my plotwatcher pro videos in the field. It also has 120 gb of storage and a built in wireless-modem (I don't use that service).

I bought it on eBay a couple years ago specifically for this purpose for about $100:

post-1622-14024297686139_thumb.jpg

post-1622-14024297940466_thumb.jpg

post-1622-14024298398173_thumb.jpg

When I grab a tablet I'll make sure it has a built in sd drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, the problem is with the camera. If they saved video in the proper format, then the iPad could import those as easily as it does photos. I am not sure if any trail cameras save in the proper format. Most don't seem to "support" anything Apple.

Unfortunately, the problem is with the camera. If they saved video in the proper format, then the iPad could import those as easily as it does photos. I am not sure if any trail cameras save in the proper format. Most don't seem to "support" anything Apple.

im just happy I tested the video before I set it to it

I have some cams out now and when checking them, I would like to be able to download them onto a device and then put the sd card back into the camera. Bring the device home and upload onto computer.

It's a PITA changing all the cards out and keeping track of them.

What do I need?

What kind of cell phone do you have? Most Android devices have the ability to take Micro SD cards. That is how I view my pics. After you have downloaded them to the phone you can reformat the SD card and it will delete all of the photos.

• 2 months later...