Running bear

beardog

I don't think I would, after seeing some shows on TV (yes I know its not like how it is in real life) it just doesnt sit right.  The same goes for baiting for me, it doesn't seem right.  But I don't judge anyone that does...  And I caint fully comment because I have never been personally to experience it.  But from the shows I have seen, for example Ted Nugent's show last night, was bear hunting with hounds.  And they let the hounds loose, the dogs bark, they follow the barking, the bear is in a tree, 20 yard shot, the bear is dead.  Other then the dogs / trainers skill, it doesn't seem like much hunting skill went into that hunt.

Hound hunting bears isnt legal in NY.

Taken form the DEC site:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25006.html

Black Bear Tracking Dog License  Statutory Authority: ECL 3-0301(2)(m), 11-0521, 11-0903(8), 11-0923,  11-0928, and 6 NCYRR Part 175 and Part 187.2  This license authorizes the use of certified black bear tracking dogs  to track, trail, pursue, and tree black bear for training  purposes only.

1-Year License - The cost of this license is $25.00  and allows the tracking of bear, in accordance to regulations, for 1  year from date of issuance.

5-Year License - The cost of this license is $100.00  and allows the tracking of bear, in accordance to regulations, for 5  years from date of issuance.

Please note:

• Certified black bear tracking dogs must be licensedcollared, and rabies vaccinated.
  • Dogs must be either a purebred or cross of the following breeds.  Airedale, American Black and Tan Coonhound, Bluetick Coonhound, Majestic  Tree Hound, Mountain Cur, Leopard Cur, English Coonhound, Plott Hound,  Redbone Coonhound, or Treeing Walker.

Please contact the Special Licenses Unit with any questions or  concerns about qualifying or applying for this license. To apply for  this license complete the Black Bear  Tracking Dog 1-Year (PDF 18.8 kb) or 5-Year  (PDF 18.8 kb) License Application, and send with a check or money order  for the appropriate amount to the Department of Environmental  Conservation Special Licenses Unit.

NYSDEC

Special Licenses Unit

625 Broadway

Albany, NY 12233-4752

518-402-8985

List of applicable Laws and Regulations

There are a couple of guys that come up by my land every now and then and release about 6 dogs to run bears.  The farmer, about 2 miles up the road, has been having some trouble with bears lately.  Claims there are about 7 of them around here. 

I sometimes hear the dogs running on my land and I do not like that.  By me, most people only have 25 to 100 acres of land.  I don't see how they can run the dogs without them going on other people's land.  I just worry they are chasing the bear off my land and also wonder what the dogs do to the deer out there.  They are not running the dogs during deer and bear season though.  But still, can you stop them from running dogs on your property?

those guys running the bear for the farmer will have no effect on your deer or bear for you hunting season. I have seen bear run out of a field, only to be back in it after the dog men leave. The farmer is just trying to save some of there corps. As for the dogs running deer, they are trained not to run them.

• 1 month later...

According to NY law, "pursuit" IS hunting. You don't have to take the bear for it to be considered hunting.  You need a hunting license even to chase a bear or a raccoon with hounds. Hound hunting is mostly catch and release. 

My hounds are trained to completely ignore deer, as are any decent bear hounds.  My hounds have free run of fenced yard when home, and the deer jump the fence regularly and graze in the yard with them.  

DEC considers it important to have trained bear hounds in this state for management purposes.  They give the names of people with bear dog training licenses [including beardog and me] to local farmers and others with bear problems for "aversity" training--teaching the bears to leave particular areas important to humans alone. It isn't the most effective tool in the world, but it helps some. One place I run bears from is a summer camp. The kids are always leaving food around and it is like a giant bait pile.

VJP--hound doggers don't like to run their dogs across private land they don't have permission on, but dogs can't read no trespassing signs and will go where the bear goes. As long as the dogs were turned out where the hunter had permission, the hunter hasn't done anything illegal.  The humans can't trespass though. We have to ask for the right to go on your property, even to retrieve the dogs.  If the dogs tree on your land and you really don't want the hunters there, we have to call an ECO to go in with us, or you can bring the dogs out to us--but you probably aren't as foolish as we are and don't want to pull excited hounds out from underneath an annoyed bear. By the time the ECO gets there, chances are good the bear has rested up, jumped out of the tree and moved on.  I would hope as a fellow hunter you would give permission to retrieve the dogs. If I think my dogs are in imminent danger, I will risk a trespassing charge to save them.

Most of us that do this do it for the dog work, but its great getting up close to bears like that too. Its definitely action packed. Since we aren't allowed to carry until a nuisance permit is issued, which never happens until the bear is run at least three times, its gritty dogs against a very big predator, and a lot more evenly matched than an armed hunter against a vegetarian prey. JMO. If you have a big game license you're welcome to accompany me on a run and see for yourself.

Very interesting!!! Think I'll stick with the vegetarians though!

Must get your heart pounding when you are unarmed & retrieving the dogs off of a treed/cornered bear?

God forbid it should ever occur, but assuming the dogs would protect you if something were to happen?

a good bear dog pulls fur on the bear. the bear is almost always a lot more interested in the dogs pulling its fur than any humans that are around.  A good team of bear dogs works together with one disracting it from the front while others nip from behind. 

My dogs would protect me if they could, same as I would protect them.  

Of course, my husband has a fit every time I cut the hounds loose--he thinks he's never going to see our pets alive again... But the dogs want to hunt more than anything.   So far, I haven't lost any, but that's because I haven't been doing it that long.  Ask beardog--he's been doing it way longer than me and has had a few hounds badly beaten up by bears. 

HounderEmily, I'm in 4P and am most often not at home when the hounds are running there.  I was just curious what the deal was on the dogs running.  The farmer up the road hates bears and claims to have 7 of them roaming around and causing problems. One came right up under my back deck this past May.

Have you ever run the dogs near Delhi, NY?