question on possession of BOOZE.

sits in trees

My first reply had only one opinion in it Doc, and that was, I believe it is illegal to have on you while hunting.  I was very surprised to find it wasn't.  NY law is different than other states in this area.  The rest of the post was fact regarding the use of alcohol while hunting and it's effects on your body.

I didn't condemn the man, nor was I rude or presumptive regarding his character.  I admit that post was a little quick without checking the facts, but I did rectify that in my later posts once I read the man's post a 2nd time and realized what he was looking for.

So Doc, I should not being thanked for something I wasn't a part of.

I suppose the difference between fact and opinion lies in whether anyone else agrees or not with the statement.....lol. Well, not to belabor the point, but to explain just what I was responding to, here is the actual text of the reply that I was referring to:

"I believe it is illegal to have any alcohol in your possession while hunting.  It is also dangerous as it can impair you judgment, even in small quantities, especially when your tired.

One of the safety commandments for hunting is, "never mix alcohol and gunpowder".

Also, consuming alcohol will actually lower you body temperature.  You just feel warmer in your belly.  It does not warm your body temperature up."

I'll leave it to others to determine what is fact and what is opinion. Apparently there is not universal agreement.

So anyway, almost all of the "opinions" that you feel weren't warranted, simply reflected exactly what you said, just in different words. The fact is that those comments were right on target and in my mind were warranted. And I'm thankful that those issues were raised. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that I took exception when you followed up later saying: "nobody's opinion was warranted" (that's a quote). I didn't read anything about rude, presumptive, or maligning of character or any of that. I responded to exactly what you said. Now if you want to start modifying what you meant by "nobodys opinion" then that's a different discussion.

There are a lot of people here that take a zero tolerance attitude when it comes to alcohol and hunting. I am one of them. And I don't try to condemn anyone for stating that belief in whatever terms they wish whether that be opinion, fact or something else.

Sorry to dwell on the point, but when someone says that "nobody's opinion was warranted" on a forum, I simply don't agree with that no matter what the subject.

Doc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We hunt best and enjoy our sport most when all of our senses are functioning at their peak.  Even small amounts of alcohol diminish that sensitivity.  So safety considerations aside, why on earth would you drink while hunting...unless you needed that hit of alcohol?  IMHO, it's that simple.  And I enjoy a few beers after a day afield as much as the next guy.  But if someone feels the need to drink while hunting, they have a problem, plain and simple.