Reloading

Borngeechee

I reload five different calibers.

There are some cost benefits, but not as big a deal as you might expect .... Particularly if you put a value on your time. The real value is for those of us who get a bit anal about small groups, flat trajectories, and speeds and energy and matching the perfect load and components to each of your rifles/pistols.

It is not hard to get started if you have an experienced buddy to sit down with you and go through the steps. Trying to wade through the books and procedures and safety precautions on your own can be a bit intimidating. You should have experienced assistance with equipment and material choices and purchases. You should have at least one good reloading book (I use the Hornaday and Lyman books). Spend a lot of time reading the processes and info in the beginning of the books so that you understand the reasons for the processes, and also so that you can ask intelligent questions of whoever is guiding you through the process.

• Like 1

I started doing some reloading a few years ago . Initially it is pricy to get started but worth the effort . Reloading equipment isn't cheap but it allows you to tweak your loads for individual calibers . A few years ago , it cost me $30+ for 20 rounds of 25-06 . I can reload for much less .

Some people start out with a Turret press which isn't necessary unless you plan to mass produce your ammo . Myself , I deprime  and size the brass and put it in a vibrator tumbler . Then I clean out the primer pocket and chamfer the other end . Prime the brass in another step , weigh the powder and pour it in the case . When I get 50 brass ready I load the bullet .

Sometimes it's hard to get primers , powder or bullets . You don't see brass laying around at the range anymore so you make sure you save every bit that you have . 

Reloading is a commitment ..............There was a thread started on here several months ago . I am too lazy to look it up .

• Like 1

Born, (Another great question, by the way)

I started reloading rifle cartridges soon after I started to hunt deer many years ago and started reloading shotgun a few years back when I saw what they were charging for a few rounds of wild turkey ammunition. It is an extremely extremely rewarding hobby and I believe it will make you a better rifleman and shot gunner. The specific benefits include:

(1) You will have a much wider selection of bullet weights and styles to chose from. In the case of cartridges like 45/70 that I think you use or the 35 Whelen, one that I shoot this is a big advantage. I know that commercial 35 Whelen ammunition is offers very little choice in bullet types and weights because the cartridge is not widely popular.

(2) You will save a ton of money an insulate yourself from the inflated cost of factory ammunition. After you have invested in the equipment you can make a box of shells for as little 20% of the commercial cost. Some rounds that use premium bullets will cost you a bit more. I consider my "coolie labor" as free.

(3) Increased accuracy. You can customize the load for you specific firearm. For instance I have been able to decrease group size by 50% just by optimizing cartridge overall length (referred to a COAL) in few cases.

(4) You can optimize the load for you firearm. Unlike the 270 Winchester I found many of the factory ammunition loads for the 35 Whelen were pretty low velocity because they were loaded for safety in old rifles converted from old rebuilt military 30-06's. As a reloader I was able to take advantage of the chamber pressure that my modern rifle was capable of and make a much flatter shooting round. By the way, I find that the 270 and 30-06 also benefit from reloading.

(5) You will be able to shoot more because you can afford to and because commercially manufactured ammunition has been in short supply over that last few years for whatever reason.

(6) It will be a hobby that you will bring you a good deal of enjoyment and satisfaction.

For rifle reloading: I think you can get well set up with quality reloading tools for $400 plus about $30 for a set of dies for each cartridge you plan to reload for. Your main tooling costs will be a reloading press, a set of dies for each cartridge you are planning to reload for (one to resize the brass and the other to seat the bullet), a brass tumbler to clean your old brass, a case trimmer to get the brass back into spec after it has been shot a number of times, calipers, powder measure, powder scale and a few other incidentals.

For shotgun reloading you can get set up for about $200 or so depending upon whether you go with a simple press like a Lee Load All (sells for a little of $50.00) all or something more sophisticated which will produce many rounds quickly.

Reloading requires focus, some mechanical ability and a dedicated place or room to reload (safely away from children and an area without any distractions).

I didn't have time to watch the whole thing but I found what looks to be a good tutorial on rifle reloading:

Good luck if you decide to pursue it. Send a PM if you have any detailed questions.

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 2

Born,

Just as an aside, when getting into reloading, you can often find used equipment you need to get started.  You don't need a "new" press or dies or a lot of the tools required to reload rifle rounds.  The used stuff is usually as good as new and much less expensive.  Places like gun shows, or craigslist, or shotgun news are good places to search for used reloading supplies to start out with.  I even find boxes of new bullets and brass for reloading selling in these places for much less than retail prices

Be sure to get a good reloading manual when you get started too.  You need it for reference and for load info on the particular rounds you want to make.

• Like 2

Born, (Another great question, by the way)

I started reloading rifle cartridges soon after I started to hunt deer many years ago and started reloading shotgun a few years back when I saw what they were charging for a few rounds of wild turkey ammunition. It is an extremely extremely rewarding hobby and I believe it will make you a better rifleman and shot gunner. The specific benefits include:

(1) You will have a much wider selection of bullet weights and styles to chose from. In the case of cartridges like 45/70 that I think you use or the 35 Whelen, one that I shoot this is a big advantage. I know that commercial 35 Whelen ammunition is offers very little choice in bullet types and weights because the cartridge is not widely popular.

(2) You will save a ton of money an insulate yourself from the inflated cost of factory ammunition. After you have invested in the equipment you can make a box of shells for as little 20% of the commercial cost. Some rounds that use premium bullets will cost you a bit more. I consider my "coolie labor" as free.

(3) Increased accuracy. You can customize the load for you specific firearm. For instance I have been able to decrease group size by 50% just by optimizing cartridge overall length (referred to a COAL) in few cases.

(4) You can optimize the load for you firearm. Unlike the 270 Winchester I found many of the factory ammunition loads for the 35 Whelen were pretty low velocity because they were loaded for safety in old rifles converted from old rebuilt military 30-06's. As a reloader I was able to take advantage of the chamber pressure that my modern rifle was capable of and make a much flatter shooting round. By the way, I find that the 270 and 30-06 also benefit from reloading.

(5) You will be able to shoot more because you can afford to and because commercially manufactured ammunition has been in short supply over that last few years for whatever reason.

(6) It will be a hobby that you will bring you a good deal of enjoyment and satisfaction.

For rifle reloading: I think you can get well set up with quality reloading tools for $400 plus about $30 for a set of dies for each cartridge you plan to reload for. Your main tooling costs will be a reloading press, a set of dies for each cartridge you are planning to reload for (one to resize the brass and the other to seat the bullet), a brass tumbler to clean your old brass, a case trimmer to get the brass back into spec after it has been shot a number of times, calipers, powder measure, powder scale and a few other incidentals.

For shotgun reloading you can get set up for about $200 or so depending upon whether you go with a simple press like a Lee Load All (sells for a little of $50.00) all or something more sophisticated which will produce many rounds quickly.

Reloading requires focus, some mechanical ability and a dedicated place or room to reload (safely away from children and an area without any distractions).

I didn't have time to watch the whole thing but I found what looks to be a good tutorial on rifle reloading:

Good luck if you decide to pursue it. Send a PM if you have any detailed questions.

Born,

Just as an aside, when getting into reloading, you can often find used equipment you need to get started. You don't need a "new" press or dies or a lot of the tools required to reload rifle rounds. The used stuff is usually as good as new and much less expensive. Places like gun shows, or craigslist, or shotgun news are good places to search for used reloading supplies to start out with. I even find boxes of new bullets and brass for reloading selling in these places for much less than retail prices

Be sure to get a good reloading manual when you get started too. You need it for reference and for load info on the particular rounds you want to make.

Thanks guys. From the vids I've watched, it looks almost meditative. With a wife and 3 daughters I need all the relaxation I can find lol. I do like the idea of tailoring loads to my specific needs.

Yes Lyman makes some good ones. Many bullet manufacturers like Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and Speer and Barnes make great manuals. I recommend getting one or two manuals to learn the basics. There is also a series called "Loadbooks USA" where you can get proven loads all specific to one cartridge in one volume collected from all the bullet and powder suppliers for about $7 each. Many of the power suppliers like Alliant and Hodgdon have on line manuals. A lot of my reloading equipment is made by RCBS. Born, check out RCBS's website at http://www.rcbs.com/default.aspx

Its full of info for beginner and seasoned vet alike. They also have a bunch of online instructional videos that are free of charge and will answer many of the questions you might have.

You are right, its very relaxing hobby and will give a joyful means of continuing your hunting avocation when you can't be in the field during the off-season.

Yes Lyman makes some good ones. Many bullet manufacturers like Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and Speer and Barnes make great manuals. I recommend getting one or two manuals to learn the basics. There is also a series called "Loadbooks USA" where you can get proven loads all specific to one cartridge in one volume collected from all the bullet and powder suppliers for about $7 each. Many of the power suppliers like Alliant and Hodgdon have on line manuals. A lot of my reloading equipment is made by RCBS. Born, check out RCBS's website at http://www.rcbs.com/default.aspx

Its full of info for beginner and seasoned vet alike. They also have a bunch of online instructional videos that are free of charge and will answer many of the questions you might have.

You are right, its very relaxing hobby and will give a joyful means of continuing your hunting avocation when you can't be in the field during the off-season.

Thanks a lot for the info

Good example why I reload, the first three in the picture are .243 AI. left to right 65gr.,75 gr.,85 gr.The BBL was bought for them weight bullets and chambered for the .243 in AI.. Next is a 6.5x55 145 gr. and the far right is a .358 Win. 225 gr.  All are custom aftermarket barrels for them calibers .

I spent the day yesterday cleaning, resizeing, primeing, loading for all three 5 rounds,around 20 of each.

post-3229-0-65177300-1410120954_thumb.jp