Thanksgiving Day Hunting

noodle one

I am home helping the wife getting dinner ready for the big meal. My wife had a stroke a few years back and now can't do some things without help, and a big meal for the family is one of then. Before her stroke I use to go hunting on thankgiving morning and be home in the afternoon for dinner. Not any more.

At first light this morning I looked out back and there was a doe and two yearlings. They hung out for a few mins. and then walked off down into the woods. I have been in and out all morning and have not heard one shot. Even being in the house, if someone hunting out back shoots I can still hear them. I know that my neighbor and his brother are out there , so things must be slow because they are good hunters and keep things moving.

I live in Broome Co., West Windsor, zone 7s and the hunting has been real slow from what I hear. I would like to know how the hunting is in other parts of the state and what zones?

Went out 1st light this morning-Rensselaerville-Albany County-Region 4H-sat in one of my ususal spots-didn't see anything--around 8am or so saw a hunter who lives down the road from where I hunt stalking in the area I was watching-I then knew there must not have been any deer bedding down in the woods just to my left because the hunter would have kicked them out---did see a doe grazing in a field about 200 yds the other side of the road

Weird thing -just as yourself-I did not hear one shot

we traditionally go out for an AM hunt on thanksgiving.  This year I didnt.  I hunt 6a and 6c, and from what I am seeing,  the harvest seems tp be better than the past few years.  I have a friend who cus up deer. When I was there Saturday, he had 12 deer on the floor to cut up.  He says his business is up so for about 20 percent from last year. 

My son and I were out for a couple hours this morning. Very quiet....Took a ride around and nobody was out . Even the state land down the road. Just finished dinner and cant get out of the chair let alone climb the stand.

Football just started, so heading to the couch for a turkey nap and will head out back in an hour or so until dark.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.