Long island ticks

Vince1

Why in the world does long island have so many ticks, I mean this is ridiculous. I have never been covered in so many ticks before. took my kids with me over the weekend to do a little scouting and MAN they were everywhere.

I been upstate and never seen nothing like this up there. now I see why they have all those stay on the trail signs up. to bad the deer don't know how to read.

I live on the Island and have seen some of the pictures of the bites from the baby ticks (chiggers) that the guys get early season. There is no way I would go in the woods before the first frost. To each his own and I know you can spray down with the chemical that keeps them off. I'm thinking it has to do with the pine barons and the sandy ground?? Just my thought. I give you credit for going out there especially with your kids!

Vince as long as you spray your stuff down you should be fine. Right now those baby ticks are the worst.  I usually bring a lint roller and when i see a patch of them on me i just roll them off. It works great.. Were you in the spot i showed you this weekend?

John

Not sure why it had gotten so bad on the Island.  When I used to rabbit hunt the Island, going back to the 1980's, I nor my hunting partner ever had any ticks on us. 

I have contracted Lyme disease from bowhunting in Fairfield county in CT. Talk about a place with a lot of ticks!!  I remember shooting a buck in CT in mid Sept. and when I reached down to grab the horns I actually jumped back from the deer.  He still had his summer coat and thus very little hair on the ears.  There were dozens upon dozens of ticks on both ears and some were the size of a pea. Down right nasty!!!

If you spray your clothes with Sawyer's Permethrin you'll be ok.  Just remember to respray them every two weeks especially if you'll be hunting allot. 

Sprayed us all down from head to toe and they wernt on or skin so much as our clothes. I got chiggers the first time i went in the woods walkin through knee high brush man experience is a heluva teacher.

Since then i use permethin and it works wonders. Spayed deet and it does not work as well on cloths it seems. Will be treating our hiking gear with it as well as my hunting gear from now on

Vince as long as you spray your stuff down you should be fine. Right now those baby ticks are the worst. I usually bring a lint roller and when i see a patch of them on me i just roll them off. It works great.. Were you in the spot i showed you this weekend?

John

Love the roller idea. And yup i was checkin it out. Bumped a crap ton of deer even with the kids. Course i entered from south east and worked my way up. Tryin to get familiar with the placr. Lemme know when u headin out if u git some time would like u ti taje a look at a spot and tell me what u think

Love the roller idea. And yup i was checkin it out. Bumped a crap ton of deer even with the kids. Course i entered from south east and worked my way up. Tryin to get familiar with the placr. Lemme know when u headin out if u git some time would like u ti taje a look at a spot and tell me what u think

So where is this spot again? It seems to have slipped my memory