Machined my first choke Tube

I Couldn't find any chokes in stock that i really wanted for my 410.. so I made my own.. a .390" that is about 1/2" longer than most extended chokes. This has a longer(smoother) Internal taper, as well as a longer parallel section as the shot exits.. Hoping for more even and consistent patterns vs the industry leading chokes..

Second choke is in the works, starting tight and going to open it up .002/.003" after each shot and document.. I also have several handload recipes to sling through it. I'm quite interested in experimenting with this one. 

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/23/2023 at 6:17 AM, Nytracker said:

Thats cool you have the skills to do that . As an industrial mechanic I can do basic machining . I always wished I could take that up as a trade but the opportunity never presented itself. Looks like a fun project. Interested in seeing the results.

i love projects like these, IT also has me wanting to break off on my own, buy a few machines and start my own business. I cant wait to shoot it. Just need to put a couple more shells together this weekend and a nice day coming up, I will send it. and post it! 

On 3/23/2023 at 7:02 AM, airedale said:

Many moons ago I took a 2 year vocational school course in machine shop practice, one of the best things I have ever done. I can recognize good work and that choke tube looks great. Can't wait to hear how it patterns for you.

Al

Thank you sir, I take pride in my work, I was just a floor worker in a factory a decade or so ago, I passed a hands on test for an entry level position and passed. Between mistakes and being taught by a handful of guys in the shop. I am where I am now because of it. Cant wait to shoot it, plus a shell i load myself. It should be fun! 

• Like 1