Sunday morning

Twax10

i found a man made blind today off the pond from where i deer hunt, have been thinking of duck hunting so it makes it perfect. do you have any suggestions for a first timer? times to go, things to bring.. do you need a dog?? I have no idea about duck hunting.

i found a man made blind today off the pond from where i deer hunt, have been thinking of duck hunting so it makes it perfect. do you have any suggestions for a first timer? times to go, things to bring.. do you need a dog?? I have no idea about duck hunting.

Can you swim?

8)

• Like 1

Nice..I'm looking forward to hunting this early season coming up... I have a nice swamp/flooded timber spot that I have only deer hunting but have heard and seen them pouring in in the past. Hoping that there are some woodies in there. I havnt seen any ducks flying but I'm starting to see the geese moving now.

First, the use of someone else's blind and/or hunting near someone else's blind is an old debate in waterfowling....

The "Golden Hour" for duck hunting is 30 minutes before sunrise to thirty minutes after. Most serious waterfowl hunters refuse to hunt the late afternoon, unless the birds are feeding nocturnally, which is not at all uncommon, with or without hunting pressure. Hunting roost sites in the afternoon is NOT a good idea.

At least three or four decoys and a call are good to have. And off course those decoys must be anchored or staked... Try to set up where the birds want to already go, rather than try to get them to come to you which is known as hunting "traffic birds". Give yourself some time to learn how to use a call and do without one until you get the hang of it.

If you are hunting water, obviously you need waders or at least hip boots. To retrieve your birds and to manage your decoys. And off course you need camo clothing...

There are special regulations for waterfowl hunting. First, some birds have restricted bags, so you must know how to identify different kinds of ducks.(Most of the managed waterfowl hunting sites require you to carry a waterfowl ID certification card to get one click here:http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/waterfowl-identification-class.html ) Second in addition to your hunting license you need to get a federal duck stamp from the post office or online from the USFWS. It must be signed. Third you must register in HIP online or by phone and carry the registration number you are assigned with you along with your state license and federal stamp. If you are hunting with others, technically you are suppose to keep your birds separate. Your gun must be plugged to hold not more than three shells. You must use federally approved non lead ammo. If your gun uses screw in chokes make sure the tubes are rated for steel shot. Although most hunters will disagree my suggestion is 2.75 inch shells loaded with one or one and an eighth ounce of number 7 steel for all waterfowl except geese, brant, and off shore sea duck hunting. For geese et all I also load lighter than most using 3 inch (not 3.5 inch) number 2 steel. I do prefer the shells loaded heavier, ie. 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 ounces, but few those are hard to find and most often use the more common 1 1/8 ounce. Steel shot patterns best with a more open choke and I would recommend IC or modified, if you shoot a double use one of each. As in choice of ammo, you will hear varying opinions about choke selection as well.

Without a dog you need to select where you hunt and/or manage your shooting so that you do not drop birds where you cannot retrieve them. That doesn't only mean deep water , but it also means heavy cover.

Edited by mike rossi

Mike you stated number 7 shot size for everything but geese? I've never heard of that can you elaborate.

Winchester and maybe other companies, sell "Expert Steel" loaded with one ounce of 7 steel. Winchester also sells "Steel Super Target", loaded 1 1/8 of 7 steel. Those are what I use. Works well , put it on paper and/or test the penetration if your skeptical. It suspect a lot of people trying to cure things with full chokes and/or large shot (#2 for ducks) are shooting a pattern with too much fringe and too many holes, and as a result, are crippling more instead of less. Maybe it wont work for everyone, but for me large shot isn't the way to go. Neither are tight chokes. That corresponds on to letter size shot for geese, I prefer #2 for geese. And, no expensive "designer loads" for me. I kill my share of birds and only lost two in five years and they were stone dead, got swept off by the river current and a young dog apparently not worked enough in moving water got confused...

Edited by mike rossi