Used Gun Prices

Doc

This winter I will be working on a  "whole-house inventory" for fire purposes and as a guide for my wife to price out my items for sale in the case of my passing. I have come to my guns, and am looking for a reliable source for the gun resale values.

Looking online, I have seen a bunch of sites that say they have gun values. They all are pay sites. I am wondering if any members here have ever used any of them, and do you have any recommendations as to those that are most reliable so that I do not subscribe to them and find out that they don't cover any or most of my guns?

There are several books published that will give a good idea of a Gun's value.

Blue Book Of Gun Value

Modern Gun Values

Gun Traders Guide.

You can find these books on Amazon and can save money buying one a year or two old, the values do not change much year to year.

When I worked in the business buying and selling used guns I used all the above but like Modern Gun Values best.

Al

• Like 1

Doc, 

that’s a smart move, but please hang in there with us for many more years ! I assume you don’t have kids who want them or any other family members who would love to have at least one or 2 of your guns for sentimental value.

hope you have a great season and enjoy your time outdoors 

• Like 2

The tough part about pricing firearms.....

At one time I think The Blue Book was a pretty fair estimate, all depending on honest evaluation of the gun, condition, etc.

It doesnt take into account value related to "events" like over the past several years which artificially drove gun values through the roof....They are moderating now. I agree probably looking up actual selling prices for similar arms on GB or Auction arms should give a pretty fair value. 

Insurance companies will be using the books above or anything similar if they have to cover a loss. Selling privately to individuals or dealers is a whole different ball game.

What they are actually worth and what you can get somebody to pay is the name of the game.

Al

Edited by airedale

Auction sale prices are what determine the value of an individual firearm that is rare.  But those prices can be far above what the common version of that gun is worth.  Still, auction sites do give a pretty good idea what current selling prices for certain types of firearms can be, because trends of demand for certain guns can start up very quickly.