Black Color Phase Squirrels

Been seeing quite a few black colored gray Squirrels this fall, I would see one every now and then in the past as they are pretty rare around here but this year I have seen at least three different ones. I have never killed one because they are so rare but if they keep coming up in numbers I may just knock one off and get it mounted.

Speaking of Squirrels I have just purchased one of those Squirrel skinning helpers, the guys I know that have one say they work great. I have always used the stand on the tail and pull up method that works ok but many times will ruin the tail. Anyhow after Deer season I will give this gizmo a workout, it looks to be very well made out of aluminum.

Al

2023-11-11_090933.png

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 9:20 AM, airedale said:

Been seeing quite a few black colored gray Squirrels this fall, I would see one every now and then in the past as they are pretty rare around here but this year I have seen at least three different ones. I have never killed one because they are so rare but if they keep coming up in numbers I may just knock one off and get it mounted.

Speaking of Squirrels I have just purchased one of those Squirrel skinning helpers, the guys I know that have one say they work great. I have always used the stand on the tail and pull up method that works ok but many times will ruin the tail. Anyhow after Deer season I will give this gizmo a workout, it looks to be very well made out of aluminum.

Al

2023-11-11_090933.png

I was surprised how many black squirrels I saw in Syracuse when I was out there a couple weeks ago at a training. I have never seen one anyplace else.

And, I'm puzzled how that squirrel contraption works? You sure that isn't some sort of kinky device from "Fifty Shades of Gray Squirrels?". hahaha

• Like 1

8 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

And, I'm puzzled how that squirrel contraption works? You sure that isn't some sort of kinky device from "Fifty Shades of Gray Squirrels?". hahaha

Here is one of several videos showing how the device is used, it can also be used for some other small game animals . I like it because it will do the job neater and cleaner.

Al

• Like 2

I got this black squirrel about 5 years ago. I had it mounted because I thought they were rare. I found out that some areas are abundant with them. I also saw a true albino squirrel when I was spring turkey hunting. It sat about 10’ from me trying to figure out what I was. I returned on September 1st hoping to shoot it but never saw it again. They fall prey to raptors because they stand out like a sore thumb in the green spring foliage. Not to mention the foxes , coyotes and bobcats.IMG_4878.thumb.png.16738e010d01b200e6c2a1f74e4bedad.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Water Rat said:

I got this black squirrel about 5 years ago. I had it mounted because I thought they were rare. I found out that some areas are abundant with them. I also saw a true albino squirrel when I was spring turkey hunting. It sat about 10’ from me trying to figure out what I was. I returned on September 1st hoping to shoot it but never saw it again. They fall prey to raptors because they stand out like a sore thumb in the green spring foliage. Not to mention the foxes , coyotes and bobcats.IMG_4878.thumb.png.16738e010d01b200e6c2a1f74e4bedad.png

Cool looking mount and interesting facts about their color affecting numbers. There is always 1 or 2 i see every year on my sisters property in 9A.