Small Game Hunt with Elsie & Harleigh

Took a walk with my Airedale Harleigh to see if we could bag as the old timers would say a "Patridge", a Hare or a Squirrel would make due. Took out one of my favorite shotguns, an LC Smith side by side double. We had a good hunt, Harleigh flushed a Grouse but I only heard it, no chance for a shot. She then made a tree on a Squirrel, she did a good job sticking with it as it timbered through three different trees before I could get a good shot and knock it out to her.

We had a great time old Harleigh and I. :good:

Al

2024-01-25_145045.png

2024-01-25_145237.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Gunner said:

I'm heading to tug hill early tomorrow morning.

Hunt Sunday and half of Monday or more 

Hare beware !

Good luck to you, hope you have a good hunt. For me there is not many things more fun than a good Beagle bringing a Hare around to the gun. My old Beagles passed way a couple of years ago and I am seriously thinking about getting a pup to mess around with in my old age LOL. With zero snow on the ground around my place I was hoping my Airedale would flush one, with their white winter coats one would think they would be easy to find but that is not the case. They sense they are vulnerable and sit real tight, they get under some cover and you almost have to kick them out to make them move.

Al

Edited by airedale

I certainly did have a good hunt! Although I missed 2 hare ..bad shooting yes yes..

My 10 year old beagle showed he can still bring a hare around to me despite semi crappy conditions. I helped him out by finding the track several times under pines.

He ran 3 hare today and the last one went far .

At one point I thought he jumped a deer since he was running across an open area.

But alas it was that wascaly hare trying to evade him and myself.

He logged 18.75 miles in 2 days.

I probably walked in snowshoes and without; 8 miles or more!

I'll be back there.

Twice the hares ran by my car .

I could've stayed there dang it!

Next trip may be soon .

I just like that tug hill serenity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gunner said:

I certainly did have a good hunt! Although I missed 2 hare

I hear you, I have had several of those kind of days hunting Hare, for me it always is about the performance of my Dogs, if they do a good job that is what counts and gives me the most enjoyment whether I limit out or strike out. Next time out things may go your way, good luck.

Al