Tagging Deer

Curmudgeon

I was just reading the post on the poor printing on licenses and tags. It occured to me to share something I heard. A DEC Wildlife Technician I have a good relationship with goes to the larger deer processors in the region to examine deer. He told me that DEC law enforcement has asked the techs to provide them with tag information from all deer. His understanding is that any hunter that did not report these deer to the call-in number, or on-line may be ticketed.

I know it makes sense for DEC to do this reporting automatically but I liked the old mail-in tags. They were easy to mark up and remember to stick in the mailbox. I find myself distracted and tired after hanging and skinning a deer. It is easy to forget to make that call or log into the computer.

I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for failing to report a legally taken and tagged deer. It may have happened, but I am unaware of any arrests for this violation, and I've been hunting for 50 years.

There is a guy who lives not far from me. He is a known jerk and constantly trespasses and pretty much does what he wants including shooting several buck a season some years. He lost his license for two years for his second offense of not reporting his kill.

I wonder if that's just what the DEC could collect enough evidence on to nail him with and the judge gave him the worst punishment he could.

Then again maybe that was the reason he just gave people and the real offense was worse.