Savage Combination Guns

One of my favorite hunting guns for casual small game hunting is my old Savage side button model 24 22LR/410 combination gun, as the old advertising states "there is no gun as useful as the famous Savage model 24" and there is a lot of truth to that statement. Over the years the 24 has gone through some changes and design along with a plethora of shotgun/rifle chamberings. As the old saying goes all good things come to an end and the model 24 was discontinued. A few years ago the gun was somewhat reincarnated with something vaguely similar called the model 42.I purchased one a short time ago for it's ability to be taken down into a compact package. Comparing the two side by side for me the old model wins hands down overall. That being said for me the newer 42 does have it's use, it works and shoots perfectly fine, it is just an aesthetic thing for me but will fulfill it's place under the seat of my scooter and any other reason for having a compact packable firearm.

Al

2024-05-09_094737.png

2024-05-09_101548.png

• Like 1

I have the same gun........ALMOST.

Mine came to me as an inherited set of guns from my brother-in-law after his passing. This one is a Savage over and under model 24S-D. It has a 22 long rifle barrel on top, and a 410 ga. bottom barrel. The barrel break lever is on the right hand side instead of on the top of the stock as your pictures show. The hammer has some extra feature that I have not yet figured out (an extra knurled button built into the hammer). It is in pretty good shape, but the finish on the stock is a bit barked up (Not the wood itself, but the finish). I have no idea when this model was built.

I haven't shot it yet, but when I get a chance and a dry day, I will check it out. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Doc said:

The hammer has some extra feature that I have not yet figured out (an extra knurled button built into the hammer).

That button is the barrel selector on your particular model, it will push forward and backward giving you instant selection on which barrel and cartridge will fire. The current model 42 uses the same type of selector.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, airedale said:

That button is the barrel selector on your particular model, it will push forward and backward giving you instant selection on which barrel and cartridge will fire. The current model 42 uses the same type of selector.

Al

It looks like a fun thing to shoot. The problem is that I am so busy in the spring with landscaping and outdoor work that I don't have a lot of time for shooting right now. But I will be trying to open up some target time as soon as I can.

What a great squirrel gun that will make for next year.

Thanks for the heads up on the barrel selector button.

Yeah, I too have long been a fan of this gun. I finally got one in 22lr x20ga. I have seen some at gun shows in great combos like 30-30x12ga and on gunbroker like 223x12 but for small game 22x410 or 20 is fine. I already had several 22 and 20ga guns so I didn't have to stock 22 magnum but I eventually want to try this cartridge out. My brother has a bolt action in 22mag so as soon as we can I will be trying probably followed by buying one for myself

• Like 1