3-4 feet of snow?

34NY

So we all know about the blizzard but how will 3+ ft of snow on the ground affect the deer this coming weekend? I know they have to eat but were talking snow over their head in some spots. Thanks for your input!

that is not good for the deer if it lasts long. really not good for the Bucks as they are losing weight due to the rut. If it crusts over this would be even worse as the predators can walk on top of the crust as the deer will have to try & plow through it

We go through this many winters here in NH & is why we have a fair amount of winter kill here

when the snow gets deep here we go snowshoeing to try & pack trails for them 3'-5' at once probably wouldn't be able to. Just hope it warms back up soon

I have a cabin in Montague and we typically spend Thanksgiving weekend up there but with 3 feet of snow, or more predicted for the area I am not too keen with making a 2.5 mile trek back in. We've done it before on Thanksgiving and its nothing but hard work, impossible to get around and the deer, when moving are herding up. 

My experience has been that they start heading off the hill via the river and creeks. In the past I've seen 20-25 doe in a straight line getting gone. They take turns breaking trail. It was kind of neat.  They herd up and get out.

With projected temperatures in the 50's for a few days next week the snow will settle significantly. However, it may be too late. I need to make some calls up there. 

We only got about a foot.

3-7 feet.., I give the deer a break.

I don't get that desperate.

Desperate for what? 

If you're talking about not hunting them in deep snow I would suggest you try it. Plan on sweating your butt off to even cut a track. 

Desperate for what? 

If you're talking about not hunting them in deep snow I would suggest you try it. Plan on sweating your butt off to even cut a track. 

I have tried it in the past and had some luck with it. There's plenty enough nice days in the season now for me to go out and enjoy myself and even kill a deer.

Torture isn't part of my deer hunting vocabulary any more,lol

I don't even like to exert too much pressure on them after season when the snow gets that deep while out shed hunting. That's just my choice.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 2

Update to your question... seems the rut never got cancelled. I have about 3.5-4ft on the ground and have been watching bucks chasing does yesterday and today. Saw 3 different bucks today within 30 minutes. All from the kitchen window ! Ain't slowing them down a bit !!

When should I come up to hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update to your question... seems the rut never got cancelled. I have about 3.5-4ft on the ground and have been watching bucks chasing does yesterday and today. Saw 3 different bucks today within 30 minutes. All from the kitchen window ! Ain't slowing them down a bit !!

Where are you located.  I'm probably headed up to Montague next week. 

I have tried it in the past and had some luck with it. There's plenty enough nice days in the season now for me to go out and enjoy myself and even kill a deer.

Torture isn't part of my deer hunting vocabulary any more,lol

I don't even like to exert too much pressure on them after season when the snow gets that deep while out shed hunting. That's just my choice.

X2 :this: