If they stopped all Buck hunting.

Four Season Whitetail's

Lets see I just Know I remember a year when the DEC put on a big push with DMP and then was hit with a bad winter and die offs...the areas they put the DMP push in are still trying to recover...I do believe there are some guys here that remember that as well...I am pretty sure that 8M was one of those units that suffered from this...could be wrong...thinking not...bet guys living in those units could confirm...if not I suppose the old lists of unit DMP #'s could tell the story

The problem is its all estimates (the deer take and objectiveS) on less than a 1/2 square mile we take 5 to 10 antlered buck a year. But the objective for my wmu is 3.5 to 4.2. That means a lot of other area in that wmu is way under that. Perhaps better management is done by decreasing the size of wmu. And education. If you get a dump in your area and do not see many deer what says you have to fill it. The best properties are managed by the people that hunt it using the tags the dec issues and based on their own observations. I do not know of many camps that average 15 plus deer a year (usually consisting of 10 doe and rest antlered buck) for over 20 years. From my perspective there are mo re than enough deer and I see no need to change anything

I know everybody preaches education and if it worked it would be great but from what i see and hear people are not going to hold back from killing something, anything, if they have a tag in their pocket and shoot say a spike, in a heartbeat, instead of a doe.

I know guys that would rather rip their arm off than say they didnt kill a buck last year. And then you have the ones that that shoot a small buck and then make an excuse of why they took a small one.  Its tough to make any choices to keep all happy and there will be much give and take if they change things up.

I know everybody preaches education and if it worked it would be great but from what i see and hear people are not going to hold back from killing something, anything, if they have a tag in their pocket and shoot say a spike, in a heartbeat, instead of a doe.

I know guys that would rather rip their arm off than say they didnt kill a buck last year. And then you have the ones that that shoot a small buck and then make an excuse of why they took a small one.  Its tough to make any choices to keep all happy and there will be much give and take if they change things up.

I think education works over the long run... there will never be 100 % participation by hunters with any aspect of hunting... but I think there have been positive trends based on education... a good example is the amount of hunters that pass on younger bucks which has increased quite a bit in the last 15-20 years with the QDM movement... habitat enhancement is another aspect that has gotten better with education of food plotting... and even though I'm not a fan of the motivation of most hunters concerning either... both still have a positive affect on the deer herd... I think we should also be educating hunters on why some of the education is important to the future of deer and deer hunting. I don't think its fair to say education doesn't work, it may not work at the speed some of us might like, but it works none the less.

• Like 5