Looking to get a shotgun barrel rifled.

It looks like inserts for 12 or 16 gauge guns in the 18" length, which would be needed for good deer hunting rounds, cost $150 each.  They don't have any slug shooting inserts that I see there either.

I'd consider .30-30. 45-70 and even .30-40 Krag for inserts if you can use rifles in your area, but I would be concerned the accuracy would be far less than I could tolerate.

what type of sights would you have on the double barrel? I've never seen a run of the mill double barrel with anything other than just a bead, I'm sure you can find a gunsmith to add some other type, but then you start looking at the cost of that and the inserts and it starts adding up..........and if those inserts are only 18" long, what happens if you have a 28" barrel? I would be concerned the slug might contact the barrel after it leaves the insert..........as mentioned earlier, accuracy would be a big concern with those things, just my opinion, but they seem like more of a novelty then anything else.......If it were me, I'd get the rifled barrel for the 870 and be done with it, probably cheaper in the long run and you know exactly what you're getting.

what type of sights would you have on the double barrel? I've never seen a run of the mill double barrel with anything other than just a bead, I'm sure you can find a gunsmith to add some other type, but then you start looking at the cost of that and the inserts and it starts adding up..........and if those inserts are only 18" long, what happens if you have a 28" barrel? I would be concerned the slug might contact the barrel after it leaves the insert..........as mentioned earlier, accuracy would be a big concern with those things, just my opinion, but they seem like more of a novelty then anything else.......If it were me, I'd get the rifled barrel for the 870 and be done with it, probably cheaper in the long run and you know exactly what you're getting.

You can scope a dbl rifle and still be accurate enough for ethical kills.The guys that have the safari show on tv do well. This is a prime example of a TRIPLE gun,scoped. I would never pay this kind of scratch for a rifle, but to each... 

http://www.gunsamerica.com/998314297/Outstanding-DOUBLE-RIFLE-DRILLING-by-Le-hanne-of-Crefeld-in-8-7-X-75-X-16-Gauge.htm

I think inserts would be the way to go if possible, my choice would be to buy a nice used gun already set up.

You can scope a dbl rifle and still be accurate enough for ethical kills.The guys that have the safari show on tv do well. This is a prime example of a TRIPLE gun,scoped. I would never pay this kind of scratch for a rifle, but to each... 

http://www.gunsamerica.com/998314297/Outstanding-DOUBLE-RIFLE-DRILLING-by-Le-hanne-of-Crefeld-in-8-7-X-75-X-16-Gauge.htm

I think inserts would be the way to go if possible, my choice would be to buy a nice used gun already set up.

didn't know that factory made double rifles were part of the discussion..............I was talking about double barrel shotguns that come with nothing other than a bead and then having to go and have it worked on by a gunsmith to either have open sights put on it or drilled and tapped for a scope, if that's even possible......I've seen a lot of double barreled shotguns, but have never seen one with a scope or open sights.......I wouldn't play around with buying the gun, putting inserts into it and spending the cash to have sights installed, only to find that the barrels have different points of impact or just shoots terribly all around.

Here's a short 22lr adapter in one of my 20ga O/U's....rifled using a 22lr liner sleeve.

IMG_2607.jpg

I disable the ejectors and just use it as a extractor gun when messing around with this.

20 yds group with bead held on the dot....

IMG_2609.jpg

I have a 9mm Luger x 20ga also, but it keyholes and I need to find a load for it yet.

Full length inserts can be had and are adjustable to regulate. They are common to add in drillings but are not cheap. I had one in a 16 x 16 x 7x57 Sauer in 22 HP (5.56x52r) 

They'll shoot as accurate as any centerfire barrel you'd find on a bolt gun.

Keppeler is a German company that makes high quality inserts, but are hard to import.....generally $1000 each plus import fee and extractor work for fitting.

http://www.keppeler-te.de/cms/pages/englisch/hunting/insert-barrels.php

On the link page you see muzzles with 4 small holes. Each contains an allen screw to adjust a cam, that allows adjustment in windage and elevation to the same poa as other barrels.

Edited by Dinsdale

jjb4900, on 22 Feb 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

I've seen a lot of double barreled shotguns, but have never seen one with a scope or open sights.......

There are a few folks making semi custom sxs's with sights and you can find older guns.

Sometimes they have rifled chokes, they are called "paradox" guns, but that was a particular trade name coined by Holland & Holland.

Shot & ball.....or buck & ball are others.

Here a Spainish origin action, new manufacture, regulated to shoot Brenneke's, smooth barrel;

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Bad-Boy-Shot-Ball-Gun-20-ga-NIB.cfm?gun_id=100456747

Occasionally on online auction sites you will see a SxS, or even an O/U made with fully rifled barrels and open adjustable sights.  Some may even be drilled for scope mounts.  Most often they seem to be 20 gauge.  There is a market for them but suppliers are few, so they are often sold fast, for a good price.

Occasionally on online auction sites you will see a SxS, or even an O/U made with fully rifled barrels and open adjustable sights.  Some may even be drilled for scope mounts.  Most often they seem to be 20 gauge.  There is a market for them but suppliers are few, so they are often sold fast, for a good price.

I would guess you could find just about anything out there for the right price............I was just trying to be realistic since the original poster said that $280.00 for a rifled barrel from Cabela's was too expensive. If you start playing around with gadgets that may or may not work, you can sometimes spend more than you hoped and get less than acceptable results when all is said and done.......if I was on a budget, I'd stick with something that I knew would work and I wouldn't be wasting money on something that might work.

• Like 2

didn't know that factory made double rifles were part of the discussion..............I was talking about double barrel shotguns that come with nothing other than a bead and then having to go and have it worked on by a gunsmith to either have open sights put on it or drilled and tapped for a scope, if that's even possible......I've seen a lot of double barreled shotguns, but have never seen one with a scope or open sights.......I wouldn't play around with buying the gun, putting inserts into it and spending the cash to have sights installed, only to find that the barrels have different points of impact or just shoots terribly all around.

I was just stating some information...

Edited by Single_shot

There is the possibility that you could find a double that shoots regular slugs accurately......I imagine that's what was used for years before rifled barrels and sabot slugs were introduced.

When I first started hunting deer in the mid 1960s it was fairly common to see deer hunters here in Steuben County using double barrels. One old farmer whose property bordered my Dad's place used a Marlin 16 gauge o/u  and another neighbor used a  Spanish 10 gauge side by side.  Still , it was unusual to find a double that shot slugs well, and even MORE unusual to find one that grouped both barrels to the same POA.

I have had quite a few double guns over the years and I don't think I ever shot a slug through one of them.

When I started hunting in 1970, many men used doubles too, but in my then state of NJ, only buck shot was allowed.  The double 10 gauge was king, since no autos or pumps were then made in 10 gauge.

When the state finally allowed slugs, the double gun men found them to be useless with slugs and continued to use 00 Buck.

Once rifled shotgun barrels became available, that changed everything.  But to this day, you will still find hunters in NJ that prefer to use 00 Buck.