looking to turkey hunt in Ohio

2012_taco

I am looking to take my nephew out turkey hunting this spring. He lives in Waterville, OH (south of Toledo) Their season opens on April 20, so I was hoping to go to OH for the last weekend in April. The problem is my brother does not hunt and I can't get the time to go out prior to scout. Any one know of some state land where I can go that is not too far from Waterville area that might actually hold some birds? Or have a contact that knows the area that I can talk to.? I can probably get my brother to take his son out before the season just to listen and see if they at least hear birds, that should help narrow down the areas to check out. Any help would be great. Thanks

I am looking to take my nephew out turkey hunting this spring. He lives in Waterville, OH (south of Toledo) Their season opens on April 20, so I was hoping to go to OH for the last weekend in April. The problem is my brother does not hunt and I can't get the time to go out prior to scout. Any one know of some state land where I can go that is not too far from Waterville area that might actually hold some birds? Or have a contact that knows the area that I can talk to.? I can probably get my brother to take his son out before the season just to listen and see if they at least hear birds, that should help narrow down the areas to check out. Any help would be great. Thanks

Turkey populations have taken a hit in the state in that area based on what i recall. Most of the known good turkey lands are well s and e of toldeo. Your best best would be willing to travel to a large public landhold or research for draw hunts because they will be good. Wayne NF probably is a good bet based on size alone but that is a drive.

• 11 months later...

I took my brother and nephew out last spring, we went to Maumee state forest. It is actually several different blocks of state land, we were able to locate a couple of birds but we got bumped twice by other hunters. The birds there seemed to be very educated to hunters. they would come in but hung up. turns out there was a swamp between us, who knew? that's part of not knowing the terrain, next time I would approach it differently. 

• Like 1