Newb to waterfowl/geese

NYDeer

My 500A's chokes say 'Lead only', so I've been looking at ones for steel shot. They range from $18 to $100+, and some are the std choke sizes, but others are labeled Mid, or Long range..  A friend said get the Long range/40+ yd one first, but will that handicap me with closer shots? I'll be hunting from land, with no boat/dog..

Anyone have any recomendations on what to get first, or one type/brand over another?

kicks high flyer waterfowl choke tubes have been the best performers on my mossy's. I

like the extra full on the 835 with 3" #2 kent faststeels.  and the kicks modified for the

500's I shoot in the swamps with the same kent ammunition.

no matter which chokes you buy pattern the gun to see which is the best.

Thanks for the input everybody. I went with a Carlson Mod Extended choke, as papabear suggested. Another friend also mentioned Carlson, and the price point is If I want something different, I wouldn't hesitate to drop another $30 for another..

For patterning the mod choke, 40" circle at 30 yard is the accepted setup?

• 1 month later...

Finally made it out this morning. The Timber Point wetlands entrance is snowed in, so I parked on an adjacent block & walked it. I figured, to keep the peace, I toted the shotgun in a case strapped to my pack so the sector car wasn't called..  I found quite a few spots, had birds most of the morning, but a bit high for my 4 shot. All the empties I found were BB size. Should I step up the shot size to #2's or larger to get these longer birds? Also, seems like there were hunters on the west side of the Timber Point Marina. Is there any land to hunt over there or is it just a boat hunter spot?

4's are ok for decoying birds..I use 2's most of the time, 2 3/4 inch...those magnum shells are unecessary and only encourage people to take long unethical shots..if you don't have a boat or dog, you need to be taking only decoying shots, about 20 yds or less, anything else, and you won't be able to retrieve what you shoot by wading, depending on tide and weather.

If the birds you were shooting at were too high for your shells, they were likely too high for others as well. It's tough when starting out to judge distance, so thats why I am cautioning you to shoot close. The DEC patrols that spot frequently, and they will hassle you if all you have is a pair of waders, and you are shooting at far birds.

Steel shot sucks, so close shots are a must. Stop in at DEC in Stonybrook, and get a wetlands access permit. There are several spots on the permit accessable by foot that offer less pressure than Timber Point..that place is pretty well shot out after the first week or so, and most of the hunters I have encountered there practice pretty shoddy ettiquette in thier pursuit of ducks and geese. I have seen heated arguments over who shot what duck, [when one set of guys was about 100 yards from the bird in question], people shooting at out of range birds constantly, guys hammering at ducks clearly working another hunter's spread, etc...I steer clear of most public spots for that reason...the wetlands permit will give you access to spots a little easier on grief...

I am truly sorry that you started waterfowling.....

You will now spend endless hours pouring over the fall Cabela's catalog. You will work overtime the rest of the year to afford the gear you will convince yourself you absolutely need.

Your wife/girlfriend will become a widow for 2 months out of every year, never seeing you. Spare time will revolve around tides, decoys, shotguns, and weather fronts.

Welcome aboard!

Rich

Rich is right on with his advise. If you really become a serious waterfowler people will think you're weird that you get excited about when it's going to sleet sideways! That's when it's the best!

One of the first things you need is a boat. You can't retrieve a cripple without one. And it's cheaper than having a dog! Having a boat lets you hunt the better places and puts distance between you and the walk-ins.

I hunted timber point a couple of times without much luck. Birds just swung around out of range and ignored my deeks. Probably from all the sky busting from hunters on foot. I've seen that happen anywhere people can walk in.

Also had a group of bozos come out to the island after dawn and set up 50 yds.from me. When nothing was happening, they sent a couple of kids out with the boat to chase the birds that where rafted out in the middle of the bay! After he came back, I heard the kid tell the older people that he couldn't chase the birds back to them! That set me off and I went over to let them know that what they had done was illegal. One of the older people, with an accent,  didn't like what I had to say and threatened to shoot me instead of the ducks. Needless to say, I didn't turn my back to them as we parted company. I informed an ECO about the threat but that was as far as it got. Without observing the situation the ECO couldn't do anything.

So welcome to the looney world of duck 'huntn and good luck.

I stopped by timber point earlier this week. Someone had a nice natural blind set up in a nice spot by the water. And looks like they were hunting with floaters in the water. That was all fine, but their were a lot of spent shells and cigarette butts all around the spot. I did not want to hang around that spot too long, some ECO would come by and think that it was me. People really need to clean up after themselves, otherwise they will ruin the spot for everyone else.

thats a good spot during the first half of the season after that it just OK when it rains I do a lot better with the puddle duck the geese don't fly over that there any more they stay by the house and parking lot bufflehead's stay on the other side of the river

papabear

That was all fine, but their were a lot of spent shells and cigarette butts all around the spot. I did not want to hang around that spot too long, some ECO would come by and think that it was me. People really need to clean up after themselves, otherwise they will ruin the spot for everyone else.

I packed out empties I picked up, but stopped when that pouch on my bag became full.

Thanks for all the advise. I have the permit from deer hunting & the brochure for the tidal spots. Tpoint is down the block, so no matter how productive, I won't complain about not bagging anything. I held back on taking shots where the birds would fall over the ice because I didn't want to chance getting stuck out there. Anything I attempted would have fell on land, somewhere.

It's not uncommon for a shot bird to go over 100 yds. before going down. That's when you mutter 'oh crap'! So get a boat to chase the cripples. Otherwise it's 'Wanten Waste'.

Keep up the cleaning habit. I always come home with other peoples trash. It's a shame how some people are such slobs. I will never consider them hunters or sportsmen. Just self centered polluters.

Good luck.