Penny for your thoughts

"HUDSON FALLS -- Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner turned to local students Friday to get their thoughts on a gun control bill before the Legislature."

Why choose kids to discuss this issue with?  She claims she wants to know what her constituents think.  Then why hasn't she had a discussion with eligible voters about it?  Afraid she might get more informed opinions?  NY gun owners should HAMMER their elected officials with comments and especially flood her office with comments.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with you a bit here MrVJP. The kids she was talking to seemed to have a pretty good grasp of the situation and their parents would likely feel the same way because that's how families work. If it was intended to be negative, the politicritter could probably have chosen a different school to address.

She wasn't talking to a kindergarten class, and she got some honest responses from people who will soon be eligible to vote.

Seemed to me to be more of a discussion to persuade the kids of the righteousness of the concept of keeping all firearms locked up with ammo locked up separately.  

I've seen these tactics used on high school kids before.  They pick their brains for opinions, then start pressuring the ones with objection to the proposals so they conform.  It's political indoctrination at work in the public education system.

Does anyone here think we should be legally bound to keep all of our personal firearms locked up at all times?

• Like 1

It's enforced vigorously against the gun owner when one of his guns is involved in an accident, is misused by someone, or is stolen.  These laws are designed to put even more fear of gun ownership into everyone so they will abandon all desire to own a gun.

It's back door gun control.  Death by a thousand cuts.

• Like 1

Seemed to me to be more of a discussion to persuade the kids of the righteousness of the concept of keeping all firearms locked up with ammo locked up separately.  

I've seen these tactics used on high school kids before.  They pick their brains for opinions, then start pressuring the ones with objection to the proposals so they conform.  It's political indoctrination at work in the public education system.

Does anyone here think we should be legally bound to keep all of our personal firearms locked up at all times?

You may be right on this, and it is a very common practice in the political arena. Divide and conquer, and put the kids in the middle of the argument.

I have no knowledge of this particular political person and I didn't sit through her presentation, so I'm giving the benefit of doubt.

"The fear of gun ownership" is a phrase I'll remember. Thanks. Very apt, considering the discussion.

Thank god this was not a batch of brain-washed kids and some are confident enough to speak up.

This proposed legslation is almost like saying someone stole your car and killed somebody with it - now you go to prison. 

Unless everyone is locked up in a padded cell wearing a straight jacket, you just can't keep everyone safe from everything.

Not saying you shouldn't properly and safely store your firearms to keep away from mentally unstable and small children.    But you should still be able to keep something handy in an emergency. If they arleady broke in the door, the police will not be there fast enough to help you, neither will having to unlock two different locks to access a firearm and ammo to protect yourself.

Her (Woerner) district (including my hometown) is a very rural district.  Some residents might argue otherwise citing sparkling Saratoga and Glens Falls as examples, but I'd argue that point.  Anyways, the college students she was speaking to are drawn mostly from the surrounding small towns and are thankfully at least familiar with hunting if not actively engaged. 

While running for her seat she supported repeal of the SAFE Act.  Since taking office her stance has softened a bit from repeal to revision.  No real surprise there.  I guess the question is which way will she go from here on out.  I commend her seeking input from the electorate.  I just hope she listens. 

I would guess that if your child or other loved one was able to get their hands on one of your guns and blow their brains out, or kill someone else while playing with it,due to some negligence on your part, the guilt of living with that would be punishment enough..........

Edited by jjb4900