Making noise

TreeGuy

A few evenings ago, about 2 hrs before sunset, I had what sounded like an army of Tom's gobblin' they went for at least a half hour and never shut up. Went shed hunting today and had to retreat early for fear of bumping the noisy army. Seems a bit cold/ early for that much noise ! Hope they hold on to that intensity for a few weeks.... anybody else hearing anything ? 9h

The last few springs I have watched birds strutting since late March and even seen some breeding done during April. Those years were typically poor for hunting because by the 3rd week of May you couldn't hear a turkey let alone see one because they were pretty much all set with breeding. Activity is very slow this year from what I'm seeing on scouting trips or to be more accurate, what I'm not seeing. Hopefully that just means we'll nail the breeding season right on the head this year and enjoy a full month of good hunting once May arrives.

It's good spring is late as its much easier to hear with no leaves, even tiny ones absorb sound, but it makes it harder to move in close for lack of cover, most birds I've seen are all still flocked up 3 or for adults 4 Jakes or so and hens and Jenny all together, a few warm sunny days and they will really break up...

It opens when it does so most breeding is done. And closes for same reason. Protection of Tom's though gregarious is important for hens all to get bred. If it opens earlier like mid April breeding would be extended into Jun and July and most pouts would not be developed enough to survive a early winter...