2 Bills to address deer poaching....

growalot

"Legislative" meaning Legislators, a group of useless people who rely on input of others.  In this case, the NYS DEC officials!

Legilators don't enact anything under their own research or information, but rely on others to feed them bills to be passed.

IF the DEC wanted to push through tougher penalties, they could have done so.  There is NO voice in our DEC that is for our wildlife or against the criminals who are taking it away from us.

that's the whole idea.  they're supposed to rely on your input as they're supposed to represent your interests.  if we don't give them input then yea, they're useless.

I could think of 3800 additional reasons and years of hind sight that would cause a poacher to think twice.  many of you seem to have the mindset that all poachers are the same and they're not.  I think this would deter most of them.  except the very hardcore boldest ones.  then if they get caught, especially more than once, they won't be able to afford to do it again.  the only reason I can think of why someone would seemingly ignore this as a good thing is an unknown fact they probably have a bait pile at their honey hole and they're afraid it'll come back to bite them.  any step in the right direction is something worth while.  here in NY we've got to take what we can get.

don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good thing...but I think most guys who do that kind of stuff won't stop until they get caught......hopefully I'm wrong. I just don't see guys thinking to themselves "oh man, if I get caught this is gonna cost me a $1000.00"...to me, the loss of a license and hunting privileges is worse than a big fine and this consequence has been out there for awhile, but guys keep doing it.  

Have you sent letters or emails in in support of these two bills?

I have!  Yes sir!

My refernce was to the 5 bills that the public wasn't even aware of that didn't get passed!  Hard to voice any concern when you don't know until it is too late.

I see NO reason why someone could vote against a bill to increase penelties for illegal activities, can you?  I mean, what would the rationale be behind that?  Illegal is illegal, but just like my original comment, when we don't even care about PEOPLE being here illegally, its hard to imagine they will care too much about wildlife.

don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good thing...but I think most guys who do that kind of stuff won't stop until they get caught......hopefully I'm wrong. I just don't see guys thinking to themselves "oh man, if I get caught this is gonna cost me a $1000.00"...to me, the loss of a license and hunting privileges is worse than a big fine and this consequence has been out there for awhile, but guys keep doing it.  

I think there is a common misconception about the difference between poachers, and those who poach.  What I refernce is that an actual poacher, someone who is a criminal and sets out to commit a predetermined criminal activity, doesn't give a #$% about a hunting license.  He / She probably doesn't have one to begin with due to being arrested in the past.  They are poachers.  The law should come down hard on them.  As I mentioned in my original post, Utah it is a felony and the penelties get even stiffer as the size of the animal increases.  You shoot a trophy and you are talking years in jail and tens of thousands of dollars.  Its no joke.

On the contrary (not justifying this, simply comparing), the DEC will consider it an act of poaching if you are an honest citizen, with a valid hunting license, hunting the correct species in season, and pull the trigger 10 minutes before "legal shooting light."  Is that person a felon?  A criminal?  Lose his guns, hunting license, etc?

There are honest mistakes that should get a slap on the wrist / warnings and there are POACHERS who should go to jail!

I have!  Yes sir!

My refernce was to the 5 bills that the public wasn't even aware of that didn't get passed!  Hard to voice any concern when you don't know until it is too late.

I see NO reason why someone could vote against a bill to increase penelties for illegal activities, can you?  I mean, what would the rationale be behind that?  Illegal is illegal, but just like my original comment, when we don't even care about PEOPLE being here illegally, its hard to imagine they will care too much about wildlife.

I think the biggest help we can be is to voice support so it DOES get to the point of a vote. I agree it will be hard for a Rep to justify voting against this.

Biggest issue with the current law is the minimum fine is so minimal. The judges have the authority to go to minimum. and that may or may not include loss of license. Look at a trespassing violation. $0 minimum fine. $250 max. BUT they get their court fees. The one nice thing these bills do it actually set a minimum. That can't be side stepped.