Hunting Apps Question

DirtTime

Well, they say bad things come in threes, so I have 2 down. First my bow, then my cell phone. The battery just doesn't hold a charge anymore, and the new battery will run more then the phone cost in the first place. So, I am biting the bullet and getting a smartphone.

I have a few questions about free hunting apps and gps apps.

What are some good free apps for things like weather?

What is a good gps app that will work well for hunting purposes?

I am opting for 2.5 gig data, which should be more then enough for my needs as I will not use it for streaming anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use Antler Insanity(free) on my Iphone 6.  There are a bunch and all of them are pretty much the same...weather, stand locations, areal maps...etc.

Scoutlook is good I hear, but I havent pulled the trigger on the $4.99 in the app store.

I use the Wifi setting at home and at work, so my data RARELY goes over 1G.  Being out in the woods, and using the app doesnt really use alot of data anyways.  Do all your updates and such over a Wifi internet connection and it wont suck up data....... with 2.5 you should be just fine if you do that.

Also if your going for a "long Haul" with a phone ie not upgrading every year or so...I like to get maybe 3 years or so out of a phone if it doesnt physically break....dont cheap out and get the free phone.  With the way technology leapfrogs, the "free" phone will be obsolete and slow within a year, as they are free because they are already old.  Plus that free cost just gets sprinkled onto your bill over the life of the contract.  When my wife and I upgraded to New phones, we kept the same plan, and our bill was about $15 less per month than it was in the past with Free phones.

Thanks for the input loworange88. Not going contract right now, so I have to buy the phone. I would buy the phone regardless. Just me and the g/f on a plan, so splitting $75 a month fits our needs better then $135 for a comparable contract agreement.

I looked over some of the apps, but, I would rather ask hunters who use them what's good then go on the review of someone who just tested it and says "This is great!", while walking around their back yard. LOL

I have tried a bunch and definitely recommend Scoutlook.  I use it for hunting, fishing and for heading to the shooting range.  The thing that really makes a difference to me is the wind meters.  The app has this thing called "Scent Cone" that is just awesome.  It will tell you (fairly accurately) the wind direction and speed at the current or future time.  The wind meter really helps me plan my stand location or fishing spot.

• Like 1