WHEN DO BIG GAME LICENSE GO ON SALE

Dave

• 1 month later...

Query, when the license year started October 1st, the licenses went on sale around August 15th giving us a 6 week lead time to purchase licenses.

Now that the license year starts September 1st shouldn't the DEC have adjusted the opening sale date of the licenses to give use the same 6 week lead time instead of just two weeks?  

Just an observation and wondered if anyone else thought about it.  

Especially those who get their licenses on line, may not get in time for the squirrel opener Sept. 1.

Edited by Jaeger

Aren't licence now good for a year, season to season? I thought i seen that last year

Paula, perhaps you missunderstoood.  Yes, a hunting license is valid for a full year.  It is how that years length of time runs that has been changed last year.

In the past, the NYS hunting license year was from October 1st-September 30th. For example, a 2013-2014 license would have been valid from October 1, 2013-September 30, 2014

The license year has been changed to run from Sept. 1-August 31.  So the new license is valid from September 1, 2015 - August 31, 2016.

This makes more sense since our first regulated hunting season, the squirrel season, has always started September first.

My observation was that while the license year starts a month earlier (and ends a month earlier) the time when the licenses go on sale has only apparently change by a week.  Not a big issue, unless you order  a license on line and it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive.