The 2015 Season is Creeping Up Fast, What is your game plan?

burmjohn

That's something I should try and learn to do better.   Fortunately my father in law is very good at it.  Last year he gave me an antique Buck folder that he had sharpened up so I could almost shave with it at the start of the season.  Field dressing (3) bucks and skinning (4) has taken most of the edge off it now however.  I really struggled with it when I dispatched the poor little button buck that a hit and run driver knocked the wind out of at the end of our driveway last winter.   I think I will give it back to him for a little "touch-up", prior to using it this fall.   I like that knife but am not overly impressed with how well it holds an edge.  

Maybe I can convince him to carry it, especially when I remind him that it was used on the buck that made the nice shoulder mount he currently has hanging up on his wall up there.  Personally, I don't believe in that "Luck" crap.  It is the man up stairs who has full control, determining where all the deer end up.   I do appreciate a tool that does its job well however. 

This fall, I will carry another classic that my wife picked up for me at an antique show this spring.  It is another classic, an "old-timer" by Uncle Henry.    It is a "made-in-USA" version and appears to be in factory un-used condition.   Them things were legendary for holding an edge and I cant wait to get it into a few fat does.   It also is so sharp now that I could shave with it.  I lost my "Sharp-finger" a few years ago, that had been my favorite hunting knife and really held an edge well.   I will try and be more careful with this one.      

• Like 2

It's best to touch up between uses if one can, a simple strop or a few light passes on a fine stone.

Using a Sharpie on the edge prior , will show you if your angle is correct .

Btw all the guys are telling me tons of deer around despite the winter.