Places to hunt near NYC

Elmo

This is my first season.  I was going to West Point during throughout deer season even though I hunt small game.  Was able to get in because my younger brother (we both got into hunting at the same time) is an army veteran and still an active reserve.  Went every weekend (sometimes twice).  Found ourselves a great spot.  All of a sudden, this past weekend they were closed.  So I called them up and they told me that they only open it during deer season.  Bummer!  Now I have to find a new favorite spot.  Going to check out Sterling Forest this weekend.  Anyone has any suggestions?  Looking to take squirrels and crows with a .22LR.

I haven't hunted either place but read about the rifle prohibition at one of them. You did the smart thing by calling and asking about the regulations.

If you get the chance to get some squirrels, make sure to make brain shots! A hit anywhere else could result in a wounded and lost animal. Even with an eventually fatal shot they can get into a hole and die where you can't recover them! The head shot also won't damage any of the delectable meat! Don't waste your time trying to skin them by starting an incision near the tail. Those u-tube videos won't work with our northern greys. Their hides are too tough. Make a cut all the way around the middle of the body without piercing the abdomen. Then work the hide off like a shirt and pants. Clean out the entrails and get out the crock pot! Enjoy.

Just in case you were not aware, Sterling Forest requires you to obtain a hunting permit. The fee is about $5 and you can get it at the visiters center. I'm not sure if you can get it that day or if it has to be processed. Here is a link to the application:

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/74/permits-applications.aspx

Sterling Forest allows rifles and shotguns and follows NYS hunting rules.

Thanks Warren.  My younger brother and I just got back from Sterling Forest.  You can get the permit at the same day and it is good for the entire season all the way up to spring turkey.  We went out looking for squirrels and crows.  We came out with our first squirrel.  My bro and I just started hunting 2 months ago and we've picked up everything off of what we read online and off this forum so I have to thank everyone on this forum who helped.

Gutting and skinning it was harder than I thought.  Fitzy's right, the skin is tough.  I kept the thighs and shoulders and threw out the rest.  Will probably grill them on a grill pan or something later.

post-1898-131455396616_thumb.jpg

Second day, second squirrel.  This time I didn't miss with the 22.  Tons of deer, squirrel, and 'coon tracks.

Thanks for the tip, Dinsdale.  Dressed this squirrel whole right after the kill.  Will add it with the legs from yesterday and bring then over to my parents.  My mom knows a few rabbit recipes that should work just as well with squirrels.

• 4 weeks later...

Get a squirrel call. It's an annoying sound that drives them, and my dog nuts. Wear full camo like for turkey, sit still against a tree base quietly, and let the woods come to life. Then call.

You can also 'bark' a squirel if it is on a substantial tree trunk by shooting the tree under the squirrels chin.

The impact will kill the squirrel without actually shooting the animal. http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/barking-squirrel-339.html

Borax can be used to preserve the tails/hides cheaply yourself if you want..

• 8 months later...