Hunting pots in Oswego NY

Mossberg500Guy

Mostly private land in that area. I would plan on driving a bit. about 45 minutes away towards Parish is Happy Valley wma, a very large underhunted area. Big woods hunting, you  will do your footwork but it is a a worthwhile area. Up along Ontario is a number of large wm areas.

Otherwise do the old fashioned but effective knock on a door and ask routine.

• Like 1

Mostly private land in that area. I would plan on driving a bit. about 45 minutes away towards Parish is Happy Valley wma, a very large underhunted area. Big woods hunting, you  will do your footwork but it is a a worthwhile area. Up along Ontario is a number of large wm areas.

Otherwise do the old fashioned but effective knock on a door and ask routine.

I wouldnt call Happy Valley under hunted by any means.  Especially during ML season.  Its within 10 minutes of my home and I no longer hunt it due to the pressure.  The same along Lake O on Route 3.  There is always hunters in there and its a go to spot for the late season up here as well. My best advice is to start knocking on doors now, and do not be afraid to ask the amish farms either.  Offering them a part of your harvest can get you an in.  Even more so if you are willing to pay some lease deal to hunt.  They will be hunting in there as well at times if you get permission but they are busy people and do not hunt as much as some of us.  Just dont show up on Sundays ever or you have zero chance.

I've been searching on some aerial maps looking for a good area and came across a spot so I looked it up on the County Tax website and says its owned by the County as reforestation, has anyone had any experience on hunting county property is it public or private?

Edited by Mossberg500Guy

Here is a link to your questions.  http://www.oswegocounty.com/legislature/meetings/2014/edp%20agenda%2005-30-14.pdfYes its public land, land that was abandoned during the great depression and Roosevelt turned it into public land.  This was to aid in putting a dent in the depression by putting people to work clearing the land and planting trees for future use.  There was a bit of a land debate with the public and county on a particular parcel that was county land a few years back, the county claimed it not as public but efforts of the local public proved otherwise on this particular piece.  If you scroll down to page 7 in the link you will see the list of public uses of the land which includes hunting.  What has also happened in the past is some locals posting some of this land trying to force people off so they could have sole access to the land.  Illegal of course but most of this land went un-noticed for many many years as being public land or county land.  Some families had posted it for so long no one ever questioned it. Not the case any longer.  You may just find that these areas are still a bit un recognized by the public and see limited use on them.  However personally I would contact the County Offices noted in the headers of the attached link to confirm and show proof you are allowed to be there if you are approached by someone. 

Edited by wdswtr

Here is a link to your questions.  http://www.oswegocounty.com/legislature/meetings/2014/edp%20agenda%2005-30-14.pdfYes its public land, land that was abandoned during the great depression and Roosevelt turned it into public land.  This was to aid in putting a dent in the depression by putting people to work clearing the land and planting trees for future use.  There was a bit of a land debate with the public and county on a particular parcel that was county land a few years back, the county claimed it not as public but efforts of the local public proved otherwise on this particular piece.  If you scroll down to page 7 in the link you will see the list of public uses of the land which includes hunting.  What has also happened in the past is some locals posting some of this land trying to force people off so they could have sole access to the land.  Illegal of course but most of this land went un-noticed for many many years as being public land or county land.  Some families had posted it for so long no one ever questioned it. Not the case any longer.  You may just find that these areas are still a bit un recognized by the public and see limited use on them.  However personally I would contact the County Offices noted in the headers of the attached link to confirm and show proof you are allowed to be there if you are approached by someone. 

Thanks this helps a lot I'll have to call to confirm, might of found my new hunting spot.