VIDEO: Spynal Tapp Crossbow Arrows At 100 Yards

TheFieldArcher

First off, congrats on the Raptor purchase, that is what I would go with today if they had given us the rest of archery season. That extra 30 fps would likely give you a pass thru at 60 yards. I know from my limited (1 shot) experience that 300 fps don't quite get it done at that range.

As far as the weight thing goes, a heavier arrow flies slower than a lighter arrow launched from the same weapon. At slower velocity, the wind resistance force exerted against the arrow is lower. That is not a big deal with field points but is with fixed blade broadheads. This is why we probably will not see anyone posting footage of 100 yard or longer groups with that type of tip.

I am sorry if I incorrectly assumed that the 200 yard bow was shooting a heavier arrow than the 100 yard crossbow shown in the two attached videos. I am not above making mistakes. I only know one guy who is, who I have mentioned previously in multiple posts. If you got a problem with that fella you should know that you are messing with fire. The kind that burns forever but does not consume. I hope you do well this fall with the Raptor, and on the bigger journey you on. Its never too late to get on the right track.

We have a physics professor amongst us? What's the coefficient of friction on a bolt going 300fps with a 5mph wind?

So if a slower bolt/arrow is more advantageous in the wind, maybe the bow manufacturers got it all wrong. Maybe we should be shooting 3fps instead of 300? What do you think professor?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Dumb and dumber...LOL! I like that. Ask a question, be called dumb, with a vid an all. 

I was actually being serious. How many actually trust a ML or shotgun at 100 yds? Yes, with the right ammo and load you can kill deer at 100yds or more with shotgun, but do you take that shot with a ML? You will defiantly have a better chance to make a clean kill then with an arrow or bolt.

I ask again, what do you think the actual kinetic energy would be at that yardage? Getting 8 inch deep on foam is one thing, no bones on a target.

"Once the scope is dialed in it will drop a group the same"? Really? Even on a gun you have to take wind and angle into the equation. Where do I get one of these magical scopes that does everything for me? If a bullet will be off an inch or two due to wind and angle, surely an arrow will be off far more. More like feet then inches. At least my bow as off a lot with a 15mph wind. The wind will also slow down an arrow or bolt a lot faster then a bullet.

The vid is impressive, no bones about that. But a vid like this without explanation will have a lot of people trying to take shots at animals without proper information.

I will take being called dumb for asking questions. At least I am not dumber for understanding how much wind and angles effect an arrows flight.

Edited by ....rob

Dumb and dumber...LOL! I like that. Ask a question, be called dumb, with a vid an all.

I was actually being serious. How many actually trust a ML or shotgun at 100 yds? Yes, with the right ammo and load you can kill deer at 100yds or more with shotgun, but do you take that shot with a ML? You will defiantly have a better chance to make a clean kill then with an arrow or bolt.

I ask again, what do you think the actual kinetic energy would be at that yardage? Getting 8 inch deep on foam is one thing, no bones on a target.

"Once the scope is dialed in it will drop a group the same"? Really? Even on a gun you have to take wind and angle into the equation. Where do I get one of these magical scopes that does everything for me? If a bullet will be off an inch or two due to wind and angle, surely an arrow will be off far more. More like feet then inches. At least my bow as off a lot with a 15mph wind. The wind will also slow down an arrow or bolt a lot faster then a bullet.

The vid is impressive, no bones about that. But a vid like this without explanation will have a lot of people trying to take shots at animals without proper information.

I will take being called dumb for asking questions. At least I am not dumber for understanding how much wind and angles effect an arrows flight.

What kind of ML are you shooting? 100 yards is a walk in the park for ML of today's technology.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 3

Not sure if you are talking about the video where the broadhead was shot into the broadhead target when you mentioned 8" penetration... but if so, that arrow penetrated 22 1/2" (including broadhead).

The guy that said "false advertisement"... I am just messing around and taking the time to set up, record, edit and upload a video that may help archers.

I have high density foam coming for this target and I will post fixed blade performance... but if the broadhead does well grouping at 100 yards, it won't just be the broadhead, it will be the bow, arrow (spine matched and indexed) and broadhead.   

Also, at 100 yards, just for giggles, sand bag your crossbow and see what kind of group you get... if you don't have the right arrows, you may think that the 2 arrows you saw touching in the video is BS! The Spynal Tapps in the video were cut from 26" shafts, .001 straightness taken to the next level and the fletching is flawless... precision arrows alone will blow your mind when it comes to accuracy and you are not getting it when you buy a box of arrows from the shelf!

With that said, let's see how those broadheads do when the target is squared away, the experts may get a little surprise!

• Like 1

First buck I ever killed with my muzzleloader was at 190 yards. It was a high shoulder shot and took the buck right off its feet. It wasnt a "jesus shot" either. I practice at 200 yards with it every time I have it at the range, and knew exactly where it would hit. The slug passed completely through the deer, taking out both shoulders in the process.

• Like 3