VIDEO: Spynal Tapp Crossbow Arrows At 100 Yards

TheFieldArcher

I see it has no trouble with the field points, but I would like to see him try that with those fixed-blade broadheads.  That makes it a good setup for target shooting but hunting is still a 50 (or in my case 60 with a "Jesus Bolt") yard game.   Why the heck did he show the broadheads in the opening frame, then shoot the fieldpoints?    Show me what it can do with them broadheads.  I ain't all that into target shooting, but I got to eat.          

I see it has no trouble with the field points, but I would like to see him try that with those fixed-blade broadheads.  That makes it a good setup for target shooting but hunting is still a 50 (or in my case 60 with a "Jesus Bolt") yard game.   Why the heck did he show the broadheads in the opening frame, then shoot the fieldpoints?    Show me what it can do with them broadheads.  I ain't all that into target shooting, but I got to eat.          

I have no doubt in my mind that Field Archer could drop 3 fixed bladed bolts onto the kill zone at that yardage consistently.

Why or how you ask?..... because he's familiar with his rig. I don't think I'd be able to pull it off myself with any regularity simply because I don't even practice at that range.

There's still a good amount of skill involved with shooting a crossbow accurately no matter what anyone tells you when you reach out that far.

I believe he has shown time and time again through his video compilation he's more than capable of quick, clean, effective kills when he trips the trigger.

That has little to no luck involved because he doesn't push his limits and uses his head.

One of these days maybe that will sink in for you.

• Like 1

What is "dumber and dumber yet" is to post videos of 100 yard groups using field points (clearly evident by the prints on the target)  and show fixed broadheads in the opening frame, and again near the beginning of the video footage.   I don't believe he could hold anywhere near that group with those broadheads at that range.   If that ain't misleading I don't know what is.  A real good mechanical broadhead, from a slower x-bow might hold a 2 foot group or so at that range.  With them fixed blades at that range, from that fast of a crossbow, he would be lucky to hold a 5 foot group.   The faster the x-bow, the more they will plane off target.   Sorry to rain on your parade but if you post BS like this on a public forum you better be ready to take some heat.    

Lol- one of you doesn't even practice at a range he plans to kill something at, and the other doesn't even own a crossbow.

I'm sure those requests are being worked on as we speak.

I got a video you guys can watch together in the mean time.

It's a classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s

This means what?

I don't own a crossbow, so what. How do you know I am not thinking about buying one and I am looking for information? My question was valid, how much kinetic energy will the bolt have at 100 yards with a broadhead. Will it retain enough energy to actually get solid penetration? Make a clean and ethical kill on a deer?

100 yards is a long way for an arrow, and that's all a crossbow bolt is, a short arrow. So asking to see what a broadhead will do at that range is a legitimate question.

This means what?

I don't own a crossbow, so what. How do you know I am not thinking about buying one and I am looking for information? My question was valid, how much kinetic energy will the bolt have at 100 yards with a broadhead. Will it retain enough energy to actually get solid penetration? Make a clean and ethical kill on a deer?

100 yards is a long way for an arrow, and that's all a crossbow bolt is, a short arrow. So asking to see what a broadhead will do at that range is a legitimate question.

It's not relevant to anything in the mind of an ethical x-bow hunter.

It's not a shot that should be taken on live game IMO.., but is is VERY doable on a range whether or not wolc123 can do it himself or not.

Compound shooters admit to practicing at long range with high velocity rigs with broadheads all the time just for fun. Some are very good at it because they're skill level and equipment are up to par.

Here's another clip for your hump day evening.

200 yd compound shot with fixed blade broadhed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkdI7LHzvwk

I do not want any part of this argument. But I do want some info...wolc said that the fixed blade would plane off and not group as well as mech and that a faster arrow wouldn't hold as well either...is that correct??? I would think that mech or fixed wouldn't make to much of a difference as long as not switching between them...and I thought that the point of the fletch was to spin the arrow to maintain the path. Am I wrong? Is a slower mech head bow more accurate

Stones, I know you know a fixed blade is going to fly differently from a mech head and vice versa most of the time no matter what you shoot it from.

Same as comparing ANY broadhead configuration to a field point.

I don't know what all the hoopla about seeing a fixed blade head hit the mark at 100yds is all about, but some guys like to try some crazy stuff.

When I hear that as one of the questions that a newbie wants to know before they get into x-bow.... well, it makes me nervous what they're thinking.

Once you dial in the scope, as long as you're not mixing and matching between the two, it's really not all that hard to drop them all in the same dot as long as you do your part on the trigger end consistently.

I'm pretty darn good out to 50yds and that's all I really care about.

• Like 1

It is a simple physics thing about more planning with a faster arrow.  As velocity increases, so does the force of wind resistance.  That is why your car burns more gas at high speed.  The guy who made the 200 yard shot on the Coke bottle was using a vertical bow, fixed blade broadhead, and a long, heavy arrow, which had to be launched at a much slower velocity than the short crossbow bolts in the other video.   That would reduce the planning effect.  At least I don't see anything intentionally misleading in that last video, so I cant call "shinannigans" on it like I can on the x-bow video.      

What we don't know is what kind of group that fella could hold with fixed blade broadheads at 200 yards.  We also don't know what the arrow penetration would be at that range, but the heavier arrow weight would work to his advantage there also.   I did notice that the wind velocity was near zero on that 200 yard bow shot, based on the lack of motion in the grass.  I think I could probably pop that coke bottle with my old compound in less than 100 shots on a calm day like that.  The arrow has to land somewhere right?   The odds of it hitting the location you intend are better than any other spot, so with enough arrows, almost anyone should be able to do it.           

What we don't know is what kind of group that fella could hold with fixed blade broadheads at 200 yards.  We also don't know what the arrow penetration would be at that range, but the heavier arrow weight would work to his advantage there also.          

Then we wonder why there was such a resistance from "conventional bow hunters" when x-bows were introduced.

You guys even worrying about what penetration and KE is @100yds is a point that has brought out more opposition to the x-bow than anything else.

These guys are shooting stationary targets in all these vids.... not taking pokes at living breathing game.

• Like 1

Didn't I see a living breathing deer in that 100 yard x-bow video?  The resistance from a that very small minority of conventional bowhunters is nothing but pure elitist selfishness.   They don't want to share "their" deer with folks who lack the time or physical ability to become proficient with a regular bow.      

Stones, I know you know a fixed blade is going to fly differently from a mech head and vice versa most of the time no matter what you shoot it from.

Same as comparing ANY broadhead configuration to a field point.

I don't know what all the hoopla about seeing a fixed blade head hit the mark at 100yds is all about, but some guys like to try some crazy stuff.

When I hear that as one of the questions that a newbie wants to know before they get into x-bow.... well, it makes me nervous what they're thinking.

Once you dial in the scope, as long as you're not mixing and matching between the two, it's really not all that hard to drop them all in the same dot as long as you do your part on the trigger end consistently.

I'm pretty darn good out to 50yds and that's all I really care about.

I strictly wondered bc I still shoot fixed blade off my vert and seem to fly exactly same as fieldtips...never shot mech don't like them....cool vids as always field archer
  • Like 1

Why does everyone think long distances are impossible? Must be a NY thing. In other news, another giant was killed at long range today, 82yards. Should this guy have waited for it to come to 25yards? Lol. Was he in treestand? no way

post-871-14400370490521_thumb.jpg

Many antelope and deer will be killed this month and the coming months at distances greater than 50 yards with compounds and xbows.

Check out bowsite.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

So as far as bolt weight vs arrow weight, I see the typical Easton Bloodline 22" bolt, ready to hunt with a 125gr broadhead, weighs in at 433 grains. The Easton Bloodline hunting arrow, at 29", ready to hunt with a 125gr broadhead, weighs in at 398 grains.

Vertical and compound bows are not that far off from each other in speed. The Hoyt Nitrum (probably their most popular hunting bow right now) IBOs around 340 to 350 fps. The Ten Point Turbo XLT (a pretty popular model) shoots around 345 fps.

What was your argument about weight, etc again wolc123?

• Like 2

So as far as bolt weight vs arrow weight, I see the typical Easton Bloodline 22" bolt, ready to hunt with a 125gr broadhead, weighs in at 433 grains. The Easton Bloodline hunting arrow, at 29", ready to hunt with a 125gr broadhead, weighs in at 398 grains.

Vertical and compound bows are not that far off from each other in speed. The Hoyt Nitrum (probably their most popular hunting bow right now) IBOs around 340 to 350 fps. The Ten Point Turbo XLT (a pretty popular model) shoots around 345 fps.

What was your argument about weight, etc again wolc123?

so with that info the effective range on targets...and kill zones on live game should be about the same...correct? Edited by stoneam2006

Arrow/bolt Weight is not a primary concern of mine.   What I am still looking to see is what kind of group that x-bow can hold with fixed-blade broadheads or even mechanicals at long range.   I also agree that many NYr's are clueless when it comes to what an x-bow can do, in hunting situations at longer range.  Heck my 59 yard heart shot on a Whitetail buck last fall was a "chip-shot" compared to some of them shots we see on antelope and such out West.   I do give full credit for that shot placement to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, as it was 19 yards beyond where I had practiced (I guessed the range at 50).  Had the arrow struck high-lung where I aimed, it would likely have been a single-lung hit and at best a very difficult tracking job rather than the quick, just out of sight recovery which occurred.    

The biggest mistake I see other hunters making these days is not giving credit where credit is due when it comes to their hunting success or lack thereof.   Far too many blame bad equipment, not enough practice, other hunters, posted property, etc.   The bottom line is the man upstairs determines where all deer end up and if you don't keep things right with him you got nothing.  

If and when NY allows full inclusion in archery season I will likely upgrade from the $250, 300 fps x-bow I used last season.   Based on my shot last season, which only penetrated 8" into the buck (fortunately all the way thru the heart), I will limit future shots with that x-bow to 50 yards max.   Showing me what kind of accuracy and penetration can be achieved at longer ranges would go a long way towards helping me decide what x-bow to purchase.   I would pull the trigger on something that would cost less than $400, print a 4" group at 70 yards with broadheads, and provide pass-thru penetration.             

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Arrow/bolt Weight is not a primary concern of mine.   What I am still looking to see is what kind of group that x-bow can hold with fixed-blade broadheads or even mechanicals at long range.   I also agree that many NYr's are clueless when it comes to what an x-bow can do, in hunting situations at longer range.  Heck my 59 yard heart shot on a Whitetail buck last fall was a "chip-shot" compared to some of them shots we see on antelope and such out West.   I do give full credit for that shot placement to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, as it was 19 yards beyond where I had practiced (I guessed the range at 50).  Had the arrow struck high-lung where I aimed, it would likely have been a single-lung hit and at best a very difficult tracking job rather than the quick, just out of sight recovery which occurred.    

The biggest mistake I see other hunters making these days is not giving credit where credit is due when it comes to their hunting success or lack thereof.   Far too many blame bad equipment, not enough practice, other hunters, posted property, etc.   The bottom line is the man upstairs determines where all deer end up and if you don't keep things right with him you got nothing.  

If and when NY allows full inclusion in archery season I will likely upgrade from the $250, 300 fps x-bow I used last season.   Based on my shot last season, which only penetrated 8" into the buck (fortunately all the way thru the heart), I will limit future shots with that x-bow to 50 yards max.   Showing me what kind of accuracy and penetration can be achieved at longer ranges would go a long way towards helping me decide what x-bow to purchase.   I would pull the trigger on something that would cost less than $400, print a 4" group at 70 yards with broadheads, and provide pass-thru penetration.             

So which way is it? Does arrow weight, etc have a big effect like you state on the last page, or doesnt it? You cant have it both ways.

enough of the Jesus shot nonsense. First you claim physics, now religion?

You wont limit anything, the next one will probably be a brisket shot at 75 yards and youll claim that Jesus wanted that deer to live.

First off, congrats on the Raptor purchase, that is what I would go with today if they had given us the rest of archery season.   That extra 30 fps would likely give you a pass thru at 60 yards.   I know from my limited (1 shot) experience that 300 fps don't quite get it done at that range.  

As far as the weight thing goes, a heavier arrow flies slower than a lighter arrow launched from the same weapon.   At slower velocity, the wind resistance force exerted against the arrow is lower.   That is not a big deal with field points but is with fixed blade broadheads.  This is why we probably will not see anyone posting footage of 100 yard or longer groups with that type of tip. 

I am sorry if I incorrectly assumed that the 200 yard bow was shooting a heavier arrow than the 100 yard crossbow shown in the two attached videos.  I am not above making mistakes.  I only know one guy who is, who I have mentioned previously in multiple posts.   If you got a problem with that fella you should know that you are messing with fire.  The kind that burns forever but does not consume.   I hope you do well this fall with the Raptor, and on the bigger journey you on.  Its never too late to get on the right track.