Ladder Stands

Mogrod

We have a few ladder stands on the property. My favorite is the outpost XL. It is roomier than one man stands and more solid than the same priced 2 man. But I did a trip to Ohio and the guy there had a single swivel seat stand. That was awesome. Quiet and easy to move when you heard that noise behind you. Can the guys (and ladies) let me know what stands you are using and if you like them or not. I am looking for a couple new ones.

I have three older outpost XL's and love them. I would like to know what stand you were hunting out of that had the swivel seat.

I'm turned off by the newer stands that have the mesh fabric type seats. They don't seem like they will last too long, nor will they stand a chance to some trespasser that may want to settle a score with a pocket knife....

We tend to buy the cheapo 15' metal seat stands from sportsman guide.  They are not nearly as comfortable as the nylon seat rivers edge, but serve the purpose and only $50.  If going high, hangon is the best option.  I have a few 24ft altitude ladder stands and they are a bear to set.  For the money, I could have bought twice as many hangons with extra sticks and its would have saved the headache of setting them.

Once you've mastered the technique of setting up or relocating a ladder stand it's fairly straight forward and can be done by one person. Even an old fart! Granted, not something you'd want to do mid-season while trying to be unintrusive! They do have their place and benefits. Not everyone is comfortable nesting with the eagles, while lashed to a tree and any possible insecurity issues associated with hang-ons. All the different types of stands have their benefits and trade-offs!

Aren't those F&S Outpost XL stands the ones with the "D" shaped vertical ladder sections. Very substantial stands! Those more traditional 1" square tube construction models are pretty flimsy if you get one more than 15-18' tall. Extra, HD ratchet straps can make even a flimsy ladder stand more secure!!!

Edited by nyslowhand