VIDEO: German Kinetics Fixed Broadheads at 100 Yards!

TheFieldArcher

I have to admit, this is kind of what I was expecting from you! Great job again with the vid and the shooting!

Do you think they have enough KE at that range to kill the spider or duck in the intro,lol

LOL, that was a pretty big spider! Lucky for him he was out of season... Pope & Young for sure!

Edited by TheFieldArcher
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting that video. It looks like you may have there a legitimate 100 yard deer hunting setup, in the right situations (no wind, calm standing deer). What is your farthest kill on a whitetail with it, or something similar if you have not tried it yet? I would also be interested in the bolt penetration you have achieved on deer at longer ranges. I know my $250, 300 fps entry-level x-bow tops out for a pass thru at about 50 yards. From your video, it appears that about 10X that much cash might double my effective range. When and if they give us the rest of archery season here in NY, I might think about that. Until then, I will settle for my $250 worth of equipment and a 50 yards effective range.

For those bow-hunters who will pile on the range thing and how "unethical" it is, consider that the range where deer are affected by "release noise" might be about 20-40 yards. Beyond that, it is just another harmless, natural sounding noise in the woods to them, like a branch falling, or a turkey landing off in the distance. Over 40 some years of deer hunting and observation, I have seen countless deer that have not repositioned their kill zone in 10 minutes or more. That is the time to hit them at long range with a bolt from an x-bow, but only from a rest, with a good scope, and on days with little or no wind. The second or so that it takes the arrow to reach them makes no difference in cases like that. You are just hung up on all the string jump woundings that occur in great number each season during archery season with conventional archery tackle. The x-bow has the potential to greatly reduce those happenings.

For future experiments, a little more on penetration into an actual deer (maybe fetch some road-kills or something), and some cross-wind stuff would be good.

Thanks for posting that video. It looks like you may have there a legitimate 100 yard deer hunting setup, in the right situations (no wind, calm standing deer). What is your farthest kill on a whitetail with it, or something similar if you have not tried it yet? I would also be interested in the bolt penetration you have achieved on deer at longer ranges. I know my $250, 300 fps entry-level x-bow tops out for a pass thru at about 50 yards. From your video, it appears that about 10X that much cash might double my effective range. When and if they give us the rest of archery season here in NY, I might think about that. Until then, I will settle for my $250 worth of equipment and a 50 yards effective range.

For those bow-hunters who will pile on the range thing and how "unethical" it is, consider that the range where deer are affected by "release noise" might be about 20-40 yards. Beyond that, it is just another harmless, natural sounding noise in the woods to them, like a branch falling, or a turkey landing off in the distance. Over 40 some years of deer hunting and observation, I have seen countless deer that have not repositioned their kill zone in 10 minutes or more. That is the time to hit them at long range with a bolt from an x-bow, but only from a rest, with a good scope, and on days with little or no wind. The second or so that it takes the arrow to reach them makes no difference in cases like that. You are just hung up on all the string jump woundings that occur in great number each season during archery season with conventional archery tackle. The x-bow has the potential to greatly reduce those happenings.

For future experiments, a little more on penetration into an actual deer (maybe fetch some road-kills or something), and some cross-wind stuff would be good.

Going from your $250.00 crossbow to a bow like the Scorpyd, I wouldn't look at it as just doubling your range, everything about the bow and it's performance/shootability is a factor. First thing you notice is when you pick it up, the riser is between your hands and is perfectly balanced, awesome for run and gun turkey hunting or still hunting. The next thing is that it is on the light side at 7.5 lbs. and it has THE best trigger on the market. The bow is quiet and has the best draw weight to arrow speed ratio on the market!

I have an invite to hunt NY and I quickly checked out the laws, did I see that crossbows can be used during firearm season?

Future experiments will include penetration on deer, season opens in under 3 weeks here in NJ and I am in management hunts where townships are over-populated and numbers need to be reduced... I'm ready and I hope to fill the freezer and freezers of family and friends quickly and then start to donate to Hunters Helping The Hungry. Hopefully I will get plenty of pass through footage, shouldn't be a problem even at 100 yards, the bow shoots with 173 FPKE!

Crossbows can be used in any open gun season, including early and late ML seasons, starting last season.  They are also legal for the last 10 days of early archery season in the Northern zone and the last 14 days in the Southern zone.  Those stretches are different with the Northern zone opening earlier, so you get a total of 24 days now to use a crossbow in NY prior to gun season opening.  I will likely hunt 2 days up North before switching to my ML, and (4) in the South.   A $250, 6.5 pound, compact, 300 fps, 50 yard compound for 6 days is good for me now.

One change that may have some effect on crossbow season this fall is the elimination of the ability to harvest bucks during the first two weeks of some of the more overpopulated zones.  The hunters have not been able to get the job done in these areas.   That is cool that you donate venison to help feed hungry people.  That is where God intended them to go or he would not have created such tasty animals.  I hate to see farmers pushing their nuisance permit carcasses into hedgerows to feed coyotes and such. 

All we got to do now is get that small, elitist group of bowhunters, who are working so hard to keep the crossbow out of "their" season, to let it in.   I don't know any of them who are much interested in killing does.  All the bowhunters I know, who can no longer take bucks in these zones, are planning to hunt other zones now where they can kill bucks.  Maybe allowing them to take bucks again in those zones, in exchange for letting the crossbow in, would be a fair trade.  Even if they don't settle for that, the removal of that bow-hunting pressure from those early weeks should make the crossbow hunting better when it finally does open. 

Good luck with that thing in NY.  A 100 yard crossbow, that would be legal throughout early archery season, would be about the best thing I could think of to get deer populations under control in those newly-regulated, "antlerless-only", for two week zones.  

Edited by wolc123

I don't know if I would call them babies.   They just don't know no better.   Crossbows have come along way lately, as your video clearly demonstrates.    Most of them folks are still thinking back to the days when they were very front-heavy and difficult to handle.   Even some of the "cheap" ones are not like that anymore.  My little $250 model actually points and handles almost as well as my Ruger 10/22 carbine, even weighing about the same.   It is just over the state minimum 17" width when extended, only about 12" wide when drawn, and works like a charm from a tree stand.     

Last season I had misplaced the rope cocking device on one weekday morning when I had a very rare few hours off work.   I was very thankful then for it's mere 135 lb draw weight, as I was able to draw it unassisted without too much effort.   Wouldn't you know, that turned out to be the morning that I filled my buck tag with it.  The deer at home seemed to have me well patterned last fall, as a weekend hunter, and I caught them off guard that morning when I showed up mid-week.  

I will be the first to admit that my experience with a crossbow on deer is limited to that single 59 yard shot, and I give full credit for where it struck (thru the heart) to my best buddy upstairs.   Hopefully I will see a little "under 50" action with it this fall.   I would love to get a crack some antlerless deer with it, hopefully some of the big old cow/does that have stymied me for several years now. 

The last year I did real well on those was when I switched to a bolt-action rifled shotgun that just about doubled my range from the smoothbore I had used prior.  That also caught them off-guard I suppose.   They have since adapted well and now go completely nocturnal by the midpoint of archery season when they detect human scent in the woods.  Now they are usually always holed up tight in the bushes by day by the time gun season opens.  I have (4) tags for antlerless deer now and hope to pick up a couple more when they become available after Nov 1.  

Last year was my best ever in terms of venison poundage (all bucks including a large, gift 2.5 year and a road-kill button buck in addition to my 2-buck limit which included an Adirondack rifle buck who's huge body was closer in size to that of a small moose) thanks in small part to that crossbow.   I just carried the last 100 pounds of vacuum-sealed buck meat upstairs and crammed it into the (2) small "fridge" freezers up here so I could defrost the big one in the basement.   That is one of the last jobs I can check off my list in preparation for this fall's hunts.   Now it is time to get out on the range and make sure all the guns and the crossbow are still ok.       

Edited by wolc123