Sugar Beets

This year I tried planting sugar beets in with one of my brassica plots. I knew it was pretty late for them, and that they dont like competition, but i figured id give them a shot. It wasnt much money for the seeds. Not a ton of them came in, the rest of the brassicas crowded them out, but some did, and they have done ok considering. Have any of you had any experience with them? If so, any pointers? Im thinking about really making an attempt at a plot of just sugar beets next year.

• Like 1

I grew them a few years ago, on the advise of an other member here.  Now mind you, this was only a one year run.  Cost me more than the  radish seed. They were no match compared to the radishes. Hands down, the radish were clearly the favorites. I should have planted a three year run, to get a clearer picture, I know that now. We did get some excellent pickled beets for the table though. They keep very well in the root cellar.

Planting has been a problem with sugar beets here, the last few years. They have about a 90 day growing period after emergence.  I consider May 15th the cutoff date for planting. I want a mature beet, about now.  2013,  deer browsed on them when the bulbs froze.   I did have one of  the best radish crop then also. They reserved the right  to pound them. They couldn't pull the beet bulbs, but radishes laid half eaten, all over the ground.  The tap root was  very large at the bass of the bulb, which might account for this.  It had to of extended down into the ground several feet. Improved the drainage of that area better than a subsoiler would have, at a less expensive rate. I would plant them in some other areas of the farm, if I could get in early enough to do so. This is why radish fill the void. I can always get in, last week of July to plant, and the deer love them. This year however, the headed out oats are their preference. My oat stand is thinning quickly. Not touching the radish. I found the secret, LOL.

Bubba was the real beet grower here. Maybe he might chime in.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Ya I went down to the max attract plot and it has oat heads...the turkey will be happy too. Shortest oats I've ever seen Still  lots of peas Alfalfa and the chicory is doing well... But I'm not pleased with the clover growth..seeing I over seeded with clovers once it started to grow.

Thanks for the pics...looks healthy and the rest is growing great under it...

• 2 weeks later...