Practice Target?

jackULL

Bow hunting is getting near, but I'm still not sure and will probably be not sure about my skills. Although I practice mostly indoor with my bow (20yd) due to availability, it's still different out there plus the adrenalin.

Is it legal to practice target either with 3D or paper target in public hunting area when it's not on season yet? Or, do you know any outdoor target places here in Westchester area? Thanks...

well you can hunt small game with a bow on public land in most places so I would assume so.

Not sure here in Westchester area 3S. But true of what you said, it make sense since small game hunting like for squirrels already started Sept. 1st

Anyone else have any idea or experience or anybody here in Westchester? Thanks for the replies...

keep practicing at 20 then and also add in some sets at close range (like 3 yards) just focusing on holding the pin steady during the release. If you can get those 2 down and the 30 pin is set on your bow ,you should have no problem hunting at 30 which is a mile during archery season. Watch the arrow through the sight until it makes contact.

Bow hunting is getting near, but I'm still not sure and will probably be not sure about my skills. Although I practice mostly indoor with my bow (20yd) due to availability, it's still different out there plus the adrenalin.

Is it legal to practice target either with 3D or paper target in public hunting area when it's not on season yet? Or, do you know any outdoor target places here in Westchester area? Thanks...

Blue Mountain has a range and 3D course.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

If in doubt, contact the DEC for your area's WMA's. I contacted mine recently via email and was told clearly that target shooting (with guns) was legal as long as the targets were not breakable, no trash left around, and targets are not hung on trees. They will nail you badly and without mercy if you damage the environment in any way at all. Email/call yours get an idea! Mine was unfortunately not forthright on where they recommended I do this in my area, so regular rules would at the least apply (not over road, near buildings, etc.)

Alabama Swamp WMA just east of Buffalo has some shooting lanes with berms set up, so it's not only allowed there but also blessed.

Edited by Core

Well, it was lotta fun today in the woods. Sighted in my bow for 20 30 35 40. There was a DEC lady I believe, who was measuring the tree or something according to her. She just asked me what I was gonna do with the deer I was carrying. :) 

Im not that lucky to have a yard, but it was more fun out there, even if I got lost going back, ended up in swampy area before climbing a stiff terrain & down to the side street. Also learned how compass works for the first time. ;)

• Like 1