Moving Back to NY

pitweiler

243, 30-30 and the 30-06 are pretty much all you need. All would be fine for deer. I would take the 06 but thats just me. Take which ever you are most comfortable with. If you're itching to buy a new rifle then maybe consider a 7mm-08 or a 308. Both short actions with more thump than the 243.

Good luck

I handload all of my centerfire stuff, but I've seen 7MM-08 factory loads on the shelves in most of the stores here in SW New York and also just across the border in North central PA. I don't think finding ammo would be an issue.

I hunt in NY.  I use a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 in the Catskills.  It will take any animal that presents itself without a problem.

If you're going to be in the Daks, a nice light rifle with a compact 2x7 or compact 3x9, chambered for .7mm-08. .308 or .338 Federal would be ideal IMHO.

BTW, the famous Benoit clan from VT hunt deer by tracking and have taken many monsters specifically using that method.  They also used only Remington pump action rifles with peep sights only.  They usually took shots at close range at running deer.  That may be a good option for you as well.

• Like 1

I carry an AR15 everyday of the week at work. I won't miss it. Besides if I really want a .223 I can always buy a Mini14.

May I suggest an Ares Defense SCR!?  Featureless rifle that is built on AR platform and uses a standard upper, and takes AR mags, but no pistol grip and it has a traditional style butt stock.  I bought one earlier this year and its a fun rifle.  Fully NYS compliant, and there are enough things that can be cosmetically done to still make it look "scary" and still be 100% within the law.

• 2 weeks later...