DEC Announces Proposed Rule Changes to Allow Big Bore Air Rifles for Big Game Hunting

Rebel Darling

I have been on this site and very few of his links worked and the few that did didn't show any numbers on velocities and what not. Do you know at what velocities the .45's are pushing those .255's ?

I know in my 45 colts that a 255 hardcast Keith style bullet at 1100 fps will go end for end of little NC deer as I did it a few times with it down there and of the 7 deer I killed with that set up not one took a step.

So if your 255gr bullet can do the job at 1100 fps, what makes you feel that a 305 or so can't?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

So you don't think Airguns have hardcast?

Have you not read anything I have said about this subject? It all started when vet brought up hollow points and I told him that there isn't a hollow point that with expand reliably and penetrate far enough at these slow speeds. Never once did I say that air guns couldn't do it. I was simply saying that at these slow velocities your choice of projectiles is very important just as it is with my wheel guns. Edited by Buckmaster7600

Have you not read anything I have said about this subject? It all started when vet brought up hollow points and I told him that there isn't a hollow point that with expand reliably and penetrate far enough at these slow speeds. Never once did I say that air guns couldn't do it. I was simply saying that at these slow velocities your choice of projectiles is very important just as it is with my wheel guns.

I really don't care if there is a hollow point that will or will not expand reliably that will penetrate far enough to what you would consider adequate for deer. It's all relative and we can disagree until the cows come home. So let's just leave it at that.

Now with these numbers, are Big bore Airguns capable of taking deer sized game? From what I recall, your .45 at 200+gr was pretty good at it.

Like I have been saying all along with proper bullet selection I see no reason why they wouldn't be effective at reasonable ranges.

Must have missed that, was under the impression you were against the DEC introducing this implement.

Instead of a 150ish grain projectile, maybe a 300ish grain projectile would be more favorable in penetration vs expansion.

Must have missed that, was under the impression you were against the DEC introducing this implement.

Instead of a 150ish grain projectile, maybe a 300ish grain projectile would be more favorable in penetration vs expansion.

Yup you must have missed it, or maybe I didn't make it clear. I hate to say this because I am usually against regulations but I think a .35" bore minimum or something like that should be imposed. Edited by Buckmaster7600

Yup you must have missed it, or maybe I didn't make it clear. I hate to say this because I am usually against regulations but I think a .35" bore minimum or something like that should be imposed.

I was surprised the minimum was .30 myself, but more so the 650fps minimum.

In my opinion a .30" at 650 isn't even close to being enough to regularly kill and recover a deer sized animal.

I would imagine that the regs are written in such a way to allow a really heavy bullet to be allowed to be used, where it may be difficult to exceed 650fps, like a 1000 grain .70 cal or something crazy. Allowing a .30 cal also might allow those looking to go supersonic in the 1500 fps range to be able to participate as well. But clearly .30 at 650 fps would require and extremely long and heavy bullet to be effective.

I would imagine that the regs are written in such a way to allow a really heavy bullet to be allowed to be used, where it may be difficult to exceed 650fps, like a 1000 grain .70 cal or something crazy. Allowing a .30 cal also might allow those looking to go supersonic in the 1500 fps range to be able to participate as well. But clearly .30 at 650 fps would require and extremely long and heavy bullet to be effective.

Even at extremely heavy it will still only put a .30 hole won't have enough speed to expand and from everything I have read on the 32mags hard casts for what ever reason don't make the wounds that the slightly bigger .35 bullets do.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yup you must have missed it, or maybe I didn't make it clear. I hate to say this because I am usually against regulations but I think a .35" bore minimum or something like that should be imposed.

Should be by muzzle energy really .

There close range weapons like a crossbow basically 50  yards is the most you would want to go with one on deer