Coyote gun

I am looking for a coyote gun. I don't know if I will go bolt action or semi auto. Most guys I know hunt with ar's for accuracy and a quick second shot if needed. Looking for opinions on the perfect coyote / fox gun and what caliber.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

So, any ideas on a new tool ?

Picking a "coyote gun" should depend on when and where you plan to use it and why you are hunting. If hunting to kill them any caliber will do but if hunting to try to salvage the fur you have to be more particular.

I personally use a .22 mag semi auto. with the Hornady or Remington V-max rounds. or 12 gauge with # 4 copper buffed 3" mags if hunting at night.

The .22 mag will perform out to 125 yards plus, will kill a fox or coyote, without much fur damage, and without having to track them long distances. The 12 gauge I use for close up calling say 45 yards or so.

The nice part about the .22 mag is I can use it day or night with good results. I have used a .223 during the day and could use it at night but my concern is the .223 traveling father than I would like it to if I miss. I find with the .223 there is quite a bit more fur damage especially on a fox. Don't get me wrong...I like the .223 but feel a lot more comfortable shooting in the daytime so I can see what is beyond my "target"

I choose the semi-auto in the case a quick follow-up shot is needed which will happen quite often.

The bad part about the .22 mag is because of the popularity of the "new .17's" in all type of configurations, and the.204 has made it quite difficult to find ammunition for the .22 mag especially in the v-max rounds.

Before choosing a rifle I would consider when & where you are going to hunt.

There are also some nice over & under rifle/shotgun combinations out there...but then you are pretty much limited to one shot.

So in a nut shell I have three that I use , the .22 mag, .223, and 12 gauge shotgun.

To each their own I guess not one size fits all.

Edited by Steve D

I think an ar is the way to go. I may build mine so everything is the way I want it. The wood stock and forearm is a great look in my opinion. I am gonna start pricing things. Barrel length and twist are the next big thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get crazy on the twist... Real research will show you your paying big bucks to improve at ranges you will prob never shoot. No matter where I am, my 1-9 @16" will group every time ( if I do my part ) . ive shot it out to 400ish with no issues. I do have a bull barrel which I found to really help with follow ups and general steadiness. Spend some money on optics and a trigger. For what it's worth, standard issue m16 with peep sights are solid to 500yrds. Every marine must shoot that yardage to even earn the eagle, globe and anchor. Trust me, you do that with peep sights and you will believe in that platform forever!