Behind the 8 ball

gutpile

A while back I posted about getting a letter from NY Dept of Labor. It said I had enough weeks to open a new claim. Well, I called gave them all the info faxed them check reciepts from places I worked. Got a letter yesterday said I made x amount of dollars and I don't qualify for benefits. I can't even collect the benefits I'm still owed!!! I'd only used forty weeks out of a possible ninety nine but because I actually got up and looked for work and did indeed find some part time work I no longer qualify for squat. I would have been better off to sit on my arse and done nothing. In effect they are punishing me for going out and finding employment even though it was ten days here, two weeks here, and etc etc.

Now the wife and I are gonna be in a real bind. Going to have to apply for food stamps. Got a letter from a local community assistance legal group about filing for Social Security disability much as I hate the idea I might have to do that. Or worse go on Public Assistance.

Just proves no good deed goes unpunished.

Gut, do you qualify later on when you eventually earn enough?  I mean, will you be able to open a new claim after a few weeks of additional earnings?

If not, that is just plain ridiculous.  People who work part time while on unemployment should not be held to the time limit on their claim.  They should be able to collect part time benefits until it runs out and then reapply if they still haven't been able to find full time work.

Perhaps because you were full time for a while, that messed things up?

I really think this is the government's way of reducing the number of people it counts as unemployed in the country these days.  If they kick you off unemployment, they can say the percentage of unemployed has gone down, when in reality, only the percentage of people collecting unemployment has gone down.

>:P

Sounds like they stuck it to ya good. >:P

I'm on week 95 so hoping something comes along in the next 4 weeks but I'll bet not for another 5.

After so long it's a roll of the dice with that gauranteed income to take a new job that pays less when your still due more.

Even with the work search forms there's still plenty of employers out there not willing to hire you if you look in the right places. :P

Really sucks that you tried and got put in this spot, wish you the best.

I hear ya on that....be happy your not in fl.... My wife has been out of work for 14 months..... Was well qualified for unemployment....But due to some loop hole was denied... She fought it and again was denied then told that she wouldn't be eligible for 5 years...the real kicker was The dumb @55 manager lied and was caught lying during the appeal..... To top it off we were denied for P.A........ And we Are qualified...That's a touchy subject so I won't go into it.

This is what sucks.This really makes my blood boil!We have good people that need help,Qualify for help,Would rather work then ask for help.And are turned away.While there are some real low life loosers out there that just keep getting by.That just sucks.............

I think what happens is that when you start to get unemployment there is a start date and it is good for a year. So if you go back to work even part time you can only make a certain amount a week $405. If you make more you will not get benefits for those weeks. Even if your unemployment account had money and the end of your year comes they will stop your benefits. They will not extend your benefits I think then you must refile if your eligable. And it starts all over again.

I have 2 weeks left on mine. I have only been looking for about a month now cause I was in school getting a degree. I have an ok position I interviewed for 3 times in the last two weeks but it has no benefits whatsoever. I also have a phone interview on Wed for a different company. What really sucks is that the jobs I am applying for and will probably get are retail management jobs and that is what I was trying to get away from. I went back to school for almost 2 years to get a degree in Computer Information Systems but no one is hiring with just a 2 year degree. I need a 4 year degree or some sort of certification to even get looked at. It really sucks.

It also really sucks that you lost your unemployment because you actually went out and worked. There is something seriously wrong when NOT working pays more than working. You should not be penalized for actually working.