North Eastern US Questions

nomadicbohunk

Alright, I found out I'll probably be relocating to Burlington, VT for a while (probably around 5 years).  It's never really crossed my mind ever to move to your neighborhood, so I don't know that much about it.  I did once interview for a job in the North Country, but turned it down.  

I'm from a ranch in the great plains.  I've lived all over the US.  I get super dorky about applying for tags in the western US.  Right now I've been back in the plains for about a year.  

I'm curious about what's good in that part of the county.  I'm asking on here because I couldn't find a good looking active North Eastern US forum.  I do fish a lot too.  Is there anything interesting in that part of the world that I should be aware of (like shad fishing, bear trapping, and northern pike shooting)?  

The lady friend owns land in Litchfield County, CT I'll be able to hunt on.  Her sister has a cabin in Maine bordering a bunch of pubic, and a bunch of her family owns land in the finger lakes region.  None of her relation really hunts.  Only her sister's husband and he is not hard core at all.  

If you're curious, this year I hunted mule deer for about 3 weeks backpacking, I shot a 150ish whitetail, and lots and lots of prairie chickens and grouse.  Not much fishing outside of catfish and trout.  This next year I'm going to try hard to draw in NM, and AZ, as well as my other usual hunt applications.  I'll probably pull a muzzleloader tag for antelope, but that's not for sure  If I don't, I'll probably pick up an archery tag for them.  

Thanks!

Welcome and my girlfriend is originally from up near Burlington in Jericho, VT. There are plenty of lakes to fish in up there, whitetail populations are definitely not what they used to be but you should still do alright up there. Should get some cracks at black bear too! And welcome to the green state

You Can't Beat My Meat!

Hooters is gone I think.

Some good breweries.

Good skiing/snowboarding.

Good weed.

Other than the above, Burlington is a dump. Last time I was there was about 7-8 years ago so maybe things have changed?

Congrats on the muley! Look forward to your future western hunt stories. I've hunted WY, AZ, TX, and MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

My girlfriend thinks I'll like it for a few years.  She does know me pretty well. 

I've hunted: 

Antelope in WY, and NE. 

Whitetails in KS, NE, and IA (IA is very overrated IMO...I lived there.  They just shoot a LOT of deer and the culture is to get as much recognition as you can for a big one.  Hell, I know of a whitetail that scored 209 that never got any publicity at all.  Some states have pretty big deer, but no one turns them in). 

Mule Deer in AZ (the strip used to be OTC if you didn't know), NE, and CO. 

Birds in CA, NM, AZ, CO, NE, IA, SD, ND, NV, MN, and UT. 

I also took off and found a legal sheep during season in one of the unlimited units in MT, but I did my homework, flew the unit, etc.  I just wanted to see if I could do it.  I didn't have the money to have someone help me pack it out.  I'm probably more proud of that little feat than anything I've ever shot. 

I'm looking really forward to the fishing and access to different ethnic foods (THAT's important to me).  No one would ever think, but the great plains are full of good ethnic places.  Hell, I ate at a super good indian resturant at a rest stop in Overton, NE last week.  I've already got a bunch of points in ME, VT, and NH for moose, but I'm not planning on that.  Maybe I'll do a reservation hunt for an eastern moose.  Like I said, I play the points game really hard.  I've got one below max right now for antelope in WY, so I'll be hunting the red desert sometime soonish.  Eating beans in college and grad school while throwing money around on points is working out for me.  Black Bear will be pretty neat too, as well as ruffled grouse. 

I didn't get a mule deer this year.  There weren't any very old ones on the ranch, and we didn't get a crack at any huge ones where I did hunt.  I was hunting for a booner.  I saw one that would have gone mid 180's, but couldn't ever get a crack at it.  Lots of bighorn sheep though, and I shot a merriams turkey.  I'm still pretty jazzed up about the whitetail.  There were two on the property that would have been booners, but this smaller one is the one I really wanted.  I've been passing on him for about 5 years and I have lots and lots and lots of trail camera photos of him thoughout the years. 

I think it will be good for me to move out there.  Something different.  I've been feeling a bit stagnent lately. 

Edited by nomadicbohunk
  • Like 2

My Aunt and Uncle live on Lake Champlain not far from Burlington. It is beautiful and the fishing for an species of fish you would want to catch in a Northern Lake is great. I don't think the whitetail hunting is what it used to be but I don't know for sure. I used to be up there all the time when I was younger but very rarely talk to them now. Kinda sad really

My girlfriend thinks I'll like it for a few years. She does know me pretty well.

I've hunted:

Antelope in WY, and NE.

Whitetails in KS, NE, and IA (IA is very overrated IMO...I lived there. They just shoot a LOT of deer and the culture is to get as much recognition as you can for a big one. Hell, I know of a whitetail that scored 209 that never got any publicity at all. Some states have pretty big deer, but no one turns them in).

Mule Deer in AZ (the strip used to be OTC if you didn't know), NE, and CO.

Birds in CA, NM, AZ, CO, NE, IA, SD, ND, NV, MN, and UT.

I also took off and found a legal sheep during season in one of the unlimited units in MT, but I did my homework, flew the unit, etc. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I didn't have the money to have someone help me pack it out. I'm probably more proud of that little feat than anything I've ever shot.

I'm looking really forward to the fishing and access to different ethnic foods (THAT's important to me). No one would ever think, but the great plains are full of good ethnic places. Hell, I ate at a super good indian resturant at a rest stop in Overton, NE last week. I've already got a bunch of points in ME, VT, and NH for moose, but I'm not planning on that. Maybe I'll do a reservation hunt for an eastern moose. Like I said, I play the points game really hard. I've got one below max right now for antelope in WY, so I'll be hunting the red desert sometime soonish. Eating beans in college and grad school while throwing money around on points is working out for me. Black Bear will be pretty neat too, as well as ruffled grouse.

I didn't get a mule deer this year. There weren't any very old ones on the ranch, and we didn't get a crack at any huge ones where I did hunt. I was hunting for a booner. I saw one that would have gone mid 180's, but couldn't ever get a crack at it. Lots of bighorn sheep though, and I shot a merriams turkey. I'm still pretty jazzed up about the whitetail. There were two on the property that would have been booners, but this smaller one is the one I really wanted. I've been passing on him for about 5 years and I have lots and lots and lots of trail camera photos of him thoughout the years.

I think it will be good for me to move out there. Something different. I've been feeling a bit stagnent lately.

Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend's step-dad travels to VT every year to hunt snowshoe hare and has a lot of success. Also, my dog breeder (german shorthairs) went to Maine this year to grouse hunt and said it was awesome. These may be a couple things you might enjoy.