By-catch question for trappers

Curmudgeon

I was at a conference last summer with a couple of golden eagle biologists from Quebec. There is a lot of canid trapping up there - snares & leg hold - and eagles are caught. Enough it seems that they started an education campaign on how to place sets so as to prevent eagles. I have a hard copy of a document called "Eagles and Trapping: how to avoid incidental catches". It was produced by the Quebec trappers assn., their wildlife agency, and a couple of not-for-profits.  I cannot find it on-line.

What do you all know about this topic? Is it news? Is it covered in trapper education?

I'm pretty sure any carcass trap sets need to be completely concealed from above to lessen the chance raptor or other birds will be attracted to them.

I'm also pretty sure snares aren't legal in NY.

From DEC site:

•Any carcass used as bait and placed or used in conjunction with a foothold trap shall be completely covered at the time the trap is set or visited. Coverings shall include but not be limited to brush; branches; leaves; soil; snow; water; or enclosures constructed of wood, metal, wire, plastic or natural materials; and must completely cover the carcass so that it is not visible from directly above. A carcass is defined as the body or parts thereof, meat, organs or viscera of an animal, including fish. Feathers (including feathers with attached skin or entire bird wings), hair (with or without skin or hide), and bones that include no attached meat, organs or viscera, are excluded from this definition.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1