Hunting Pressure on public land in northern NY state

buckchaser

I'm considering a wild turkey hunt in northern NY state this spring.  

I would be looking to hunt public land in the Gouverneur/Canton/Potsdam area.  Will public land in this area be overrun with hunters or is a quality experience possible?  Early or late season make a significant difference in hunter numbers?

Alternatively, what would my odds be of scoring private land?  Are farmers receptive to the idea or would I get the "cold shoulder" from landowners?

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a part of the state with a better combination of high bird density and low hunting pressure.   Look for public land near corn stubble and/or ask those landowners for permission.    In that general area last Memorial day weekend, at each sunrise it sounded like there was at least one gobbler on every hilltop, and I did not hear a single shot.   With the lame excuse for a winter we just had, there should be even more birds around this year.  

I'm not a turkey hunter, but I see very few hunters parked around public land during turkey season... Which piece of state land are you going to hunt? Friends who turkey hunt don't seem to have problems finding private land to hunt . Not so easy to find for deer..

I haven't honed in on exact public land areas yet, but certainly will be investing more time into research based on the feedback here.  I would be accompanied by a friend who would be fly fishing while I wild turkey hunt so an area that has both within reasonable distance (thinking St Regis area) is preferred.

The public land areas that initially caught my eye were:

Upper and Lower Lakes (half wetland I understand)

Taylor Creek State Forest

Glenmeal State Forest

Catherinesville State Forest

St Regis River State Forest

Deer River State Forest

An addition to the threat - my wife and I frequently end up in the High Peaks for climbing, hiking, and skiing.  I haven't seen many wild turkeys during my time in the region,but there is certainly a tonne of available public land to hunt.  Anyone have any experience hunting wild turkeys in the area?  I could combine a morning of turkey hunting with an afternoon of climbing with my wife.