Need help with wader selection!!!!!

Hey all! I have my first salmon rum guided trip next week and I still need waders... For me they need to support fly fishing in the West Canada. Possible duck hunting and salmon river fishing.

I don't know if I should go with boot foot or stocking. Or breathable vs neoprene...

Hard-core fly fisherman said breathable stocking... But I've tried on several pairs and not only do they not fit good. But to account for winter warmth there isn't enough room to layer.....

Is 3.5 neoprene too hot for spring and fall fly fishing?

I need a one set do it all solution which will mean compromise in some areas. I'm currently leaning towards a set of Itasca marsh king 1000g camo boot foot.....

Thoughts?

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Breathable stocking foot for sure. You can wear long underwear of your choice under the breathables but the neoprene will make you drench with sweat once the water & outside temperatures warm.

Stocking foot waders W/good quality wading boots will give you support while boot-foot waders will not. They could be downright dangerous in some situations.

Felt soles W/carbide studs may be in order too. You can glue them on W/Barge cement. No need to go high dollar. Since the patents ran out on Gore-Tex, breathables have come way down in price. You do want double knees & built in gravel guards.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Another vote for stocking and wading shoes. I have Orvis what I'll call thin waders Even with long underwear they get cold steelhead fishing and muskrat trapping Felt bottoms are key too. Watched my buddy slide at Scoby hill dam. 25 feet from 3 feet of water to wader fillers. He's a great swimmer , I cannot. I got a little nervous watching it

Another vote for stocking and wading shoes. I have Orvis what I'll call thin waders Even with long underwear they get cold steelhead fishing and muskrat trapping Felt bottoms are key too. Watched my buddy slide at Scoby hill dam. 25 feet from 3 feet of water to wader fillers. He's a great swimmer , I cannot. I got a little nervous watching it

that's a good question. I've heard this before but never confirmed. I'd rather get a ticket than drown I guess

Felt alone isn't even enough i the freestone rivers up here. You need studs too.

Felt is banned in a lot of waters around my area.

But I would also second wildcats suggestions on going breathable and layering up inside for colder weather. Go with stocking for ease of changing boots. If you're not fishing the beaches with sand, stockings are fine.

Breathable are generally more expensive, and don't last as long. But if you get them from a place like LL Bean, they are covered for life.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Up there I bring a ski pole to use as a wading staff, it's a must have. Tethered to you or you'll lose it in a matter of minutes

I made a heavy duty wading staff from a piece of ironwood. It has a leather spiral in a whittled groove on the handle W/a 1/2" wide leather hand loop & an elastic loop that clips to my vest. At the bottom, an 1 1/2" length of heavy copper pipe W/an epoxy filled end takes the wear & tear of the rocks at tip.

I fish a lot of pocket water on steep gradients so the rocks are smooth & rounded. It's like walking on greased bowling balls! I of my favorite spots is below some class IV rapids!

Edited by wildcat junkie

I've fished the st Regis river the same weekend for the past 15 years and I don't think I've ever actually stood on the bottom of it, always on a rock I can't see with my other leg lodged between two other rocks I can't see lol

Well the spot I was speaking of is in the St Regis River below the class IV rapids that start at the old washed out dam below St Regis Falls. I fish from just below the old stone abutments up through the pocket water & the boulder field just below the rapids.

Well the spot I was speaking of is in the St Regis River below the class IV rapids that start at the old washed out dam below St Regis Falls. I fish from just below the old stone abutments up through the pocket water & the boulder field just below the rapids.

Ive fished that stretch quite a few times, if you like pocket water the Regis is your river. I love fishing it

Well I ended up going to bp's and getting their cheap boots that were on sale and their white river breathable stockingfoot waders....

I was dead set on getting neoprene boot foots for hunting purposes... But I didn't like the way they all fit..

The reviews online aren't the greatest for the pants. Hut with a full 1 year no questions asked warranty I figure if I get 10 uses I'll have my money's worth and will be able to decide if I should spend more for higher quality waders to use more often...

I took them to my local Creek to try them out and make sure they didn't leak.... Happily they didn't but hold crap was I cold with only midweight merino wool long Johns on.

For the salmon river trip in a few days I plan on wearing my fishing pants merino longjohns and polyester long Johns underneath.

I was unable to get the waders over my rain jacket.. Is it common for this to be the case?

Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk