375 and 416 Ruger

What's your take on the "new" ruger version of the classic 375 h&h and 416 rigby? Spec wise it looks like the Ruger version is a little better performance wise but availability of ammo seems flaky. Have any of you guys experienced and of the Ruger cartriges?

Geechee born and Geechee bred

Now that you're reloading, availability of ammo shouldn't be as much of a issue once you get your hands on a couple of bags of brass.

True... I wonder if lee has dies or just hornady. Gonna have to take a look for curiosity sake.

What's your take on the "new" ruger version of the classic 375 h&h and 416 rigby? Spec wise it looks like the Ruger version is a little better performance wise but availability of ammo seems flaky. Have any of you guys experienced and of the Ruger cartriges?

Now that you're reloading, availability of ammo shouldn't be as much of a issue once you get your hands on a couple of bags of brass.

Don't some African countries require factory ammunition for dangerous game?

Never heard that one, Dan, but that's not saying it's not true.

I know several require .375 or larger. Also I believe that some specifically allow the 9.3 x 62 because of that cartridge's popularity on that continent.

Don't some African countries require factory ammunition for dangerous game?

Not that I have ever seen or heard of.....

But some can get sticky on factory headstamps when importing, wildcat guys can have "issues".

And most have regs in place for energy requirements especially for dangerous game; usually a hot 9.3x62 or 375 HH makes the cut.. But there can be some skirting of the rules around the edges (read: its easy to get folks there to look the other way for small "donations") 

Been with in 30 yds of Elephant cows with young; a 375HH feels like a toothpick in your hands.

On the original topic I don't buy the fits "standard action" stuff about short stroking a rifle or that they are more accurate. I have several action types, both strait pull and conventional bolts; different safeties that operate a little different; I switch between them, and still have never flubbed a shot due to the type of rifle in my hand. Frankly when trophy fees or pressure is on the line, you have to get me from STOP shooting again, not get me to remember to cycle the action and hit em' again. 

The 375 HH custom I have is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, and that's a few. My  only mistake was having it built too heavy at the time; although off hand and working the bolt smartly the weight helps out with reloading and staying on target. Runs like glass.

One of the early knocks on the Ruger was availability of ammo especially for travelling hunters in Africa. Here in the States you can often check ammo inside gun case, internationally its most often in your checked bag. Connect through many African cities and some airlines require the ammo case be checked again as yet another bag if flying on. Its just one more possibility on losing the ammo case, and finding suitable ammo in the field difficult. Most outfitters have a few rounds of common calibers around to get one hunting. I hear that the Ruger ammo is around more frequent now.

Facing that issue now ; taking a 300WBY , but throwing the 270win for my switch barrel rifle in, just in case I end up with rifle and no ammo case I'll be able to get hunting with local sourced ammo thats easy to find. But I have been incredibly lucky in never having a delay or lost item flying, so knock on wood. 

If headed to a 40 cal I think I'd pick a 416REM....but getting back to them Elephants a 458WIn would be a better choice when I get there again and if I'm jumping up to what is often called a stopping rifle.

JMO.

Edited by Dinsdale

I've heard that before, Dinsdale can probably answer the question though. 

I know of one guy that took his handloads but used factory boxes for transport, not sure if he HAD to do it for legal reasons or not.

Some airline rules state something like....

Suitable containers like factory boxes, fiberboard, wood,......... blah blah blah.

Airline counter employees don't always know what any of that means and default to must require factory boxes.....

I have used factory and the plastic 20 round MTM slip cases without issue.....although I have some nifty labels for the MTM's that look factory to stick on them. All inside a nice aluminum case built to hold ammo for flying from my buddy Tom at Strong Case.

Things have been pretty much smooth sailing for me with Airlines, TSA,Customs, USF&W and every import Police agency used. Sometimes have to be patient, polite, and a little flexible.

I tell the story of a guy in JFK when Port Authority wanted to check his guns (they do that extra step there). He was freaking out about his second amendment rights and how dare they. Screwing up what was probably a multi thousand dollar hunt. PA cops tried really hard to be nice, at first....

I think he's still there somewhere.