First buck worth mounting

WhiteTailBuckDeer

Some nice mounts there guys. It does however remind me of a story lol. One of my old bosses always talked about going deer hunting but had never been due to he had noone to show him the ropes or where to even start. Of course I lend him some advice and some company afield to get him on the right track. We go out for his very first time and he shoots a dandy 10 pt. after all is said and done he says that was awesome but I dont think I will do it again. IM like what the hell you talking about you just shot one hell of a buck and you are giving it up already. Old boss says yeah I wanted a challenge and this is to easy. To my knowledge he has never hunted again. I often wondered from that day forward how some of these guys who drop a once in a lifetime deer their first year mentally hunt from there on out. Are their expectations set even higher or do they realize it was a lucky day afield? Took me 6 years to get my first deer with a bow and have been succesful filling that tag ever since gun took me 2 years to fill my first tag. Amazing pictures, my first one I had mounted I took with my dad. Nice wide 7 point with no brow tines go figure but if it was a spike I probably would have mounted it since my dad worked so much to feed us kids and roof over our heads we didnt get much time together in the woods, it was the most memorable and best hunts of my life. I have no digital pictures of him one of these days I will take a picture of him on my wall.

• 4 weeks later...

the "92 is my second buck, and so forth.. the '94 buck scored 169-9 gross 155-3 net I shot him in his bed at about 30 yards.... the other 2 score just under 100... the '92 buck is one that my dad and I hunted for 3 days.. i shot him in his bed at 8 yards... the temp was 5 degrees that day... it was so cold that he hung tight in his bed (which was tucked away in a thick blow down) until it was too late.

Joe you get them with the bow or gun? Great picts everyone, My first was at sixteen she.....ah.. I mean the deer was a spike horn shot in Deposit on a friends property. I'll try to dig up picts.

Burt those bucks were actually not from big woods... they were local to my home... i track even on small pieces of property and have been very sucessful... its very different from big woods tracking... I do both and have killed my last 5 bucks either in their bed or as they were getting out of their beds to get away... I hunted an 8 point buck in Maine once that someone saw early in the morning running into a swampy dark, dank ravine 3 miles in... the guy that saw the buck ( a local to maine) said that there was no way anyone could find that buck in that swampy area let alone kill him, it just wasn't possible... with that...I made the trek into the ravine. I walked through the swampy area full of blow-downs stopping every minute or so and looked for the buck laying down (there was no snow)... after I scanned the area I would grunt then scan again... I did this for about a half hour to 45 minutes as I made my way slowly through of the boggy blowdown... I stopped and scanned, made a grunt, and up from the ground about 75 yards away the 8-pointer stood up from his bed facing me... without even blinking I raise my 30-06 and shot him square in the chest... it took me 5 hours to carry him out of the woods on my back ( I was in my late 30's then)... the moral of the story is.. don't ever tell me it isn't possible... its only impossible if you aren't willing to try.. :)

That is really great, most of us won't even try that or have the patience for it. When you say "I track small pieces of property" my problem is that you don't always end up shooting the buck in its bed. What do you do when you jump the deer and have to continue tracking on a small piece of property? At some point you are going to run out of you property and be trespassing. What are you thought or game plan when this happens. I own 54 acres and always hold back on tracking because of this thought. Not that my neighbors are unfriendly I just don't want to ruin their hunt walking around on their property.

That is really great, most of us won't even try that or have the patience for it. When you say "I track small pieces of property" my problem is that you don't always end up shooting the buck in its bed. What do you do when you jump the deer and have to continue tracking on a small piece of property? At some point you are going to run out of you property and be trespassing. What are you thought or game plan when this happens. I own 54 acres and always hold back on tracking because of this thought. Not that my neighbors are unfriendly I just don't want to ruin their hunt walking around on their property.

I think thats what I enjoy most is knowing that you really only have one chance at catching the buck before he catches you... much different than big woods tracking where you have plenty of space to continue a track... sometimes in the small areas you end up having to leave the track to posted property.. it's all part of the game.. now obviously I couldn't spend all day on 54 acres... and may not even find a track to follow... most of my small acerage tracking happens when I have limited time that day to hunt, maybe just an hour or two.. I go to one of my local hunting spots and see if I can pick up a nice track.. I usually already have an idea that there is a nice buck somewhere in an area. I never worry about pushing deer to others.. thats part of what happens when you're hunting... and I never tresspass... no buck is that important as to invade someone elses hunting property.