Deer Poaching Bill Almost Fully Passed !

dbHunterNY

It's been posted before.... NYS Senate Bill S4727B increases the fines for illegally taking (poaching) deer.

it's passed through committee and passed unanimously 97-0 through the Assembly and passed through the environmental conservation committee in the senate.  It's possibly a couple days from a floor vote by the senate to be fully passed.  it only needs to be scheduled for a floor vote, in which it will surely pass by a land slide.  it just has to be scheduled.  the man that has to allow and schedule it for a floor vote is.....

Senator John J. Flanagan

518-455-2071

[email protected]

feel free to copy his legislative aid - [email protected]

this is really close to getting passed and will give poachers much more reason for worry and reconsider doing it in the first place.  take a minute to get ahold of them and let them know you support it.

FYI - you support this or you're the poacher!

• Like 1

Awesome. I would love to see more and more of these just hammering all the cheaters out there... The gun crowd has lawlessness as much apart of them as blaze orange IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passing a law that required all deer and tags to be reported would go much further to protect deer. Yes a bigger fine for poaching is great but most never get caught because of lack of DEC officers.

you said it, a bigger fine for poaching is great.  this is going to happen.  only the most brazen poachers will still do it with increased fines.  majority of your poachers only do it or continue because the fines are small to the point it would get reduced to nothing.  poachers do get caught.  It's already law to report your deer, it just needs to be pushed to be enforced.  I only think that reporting an unused tag would eliminate the inclination by DEC to think it may have been filled.  so I would be for it, but a law like that isn't as easily pushed through the process.  this one is feasible given the system and process needing to be dealt with.

if anyone reading this hasn't contacted Flanagan's office yet they should.  the bill needs to get voted on in the next week if it's to be passed in time for the beginning of this hunting season, as the senate goes into recess and the law has a grace period to take effect.

sooner we get this passed the sooner we can focus on other legislation to help make the deer hunting better.  like putting it into law that we have "the right to hunt and fish".  right now it's a legislative privilege that isn't guaranteed year to year, although it's taken for granted that it'll be there.

• Like 2

As stated in a different thread but on the same topic, a lot of judges already see the current fines as being to high for the crime so they instead plea bargain these cases down resulting in reduced charges and therefore lesser fines being paid. I don't see this new law ending the very accepted practice of plea bargaining down any criminal charges. Except for those involved in the outdoors, not many people, including judges, see poaching, as the same can be said of many other forms of illegal activity, as a major criminal offense.

As stated in a different thread but on the same topic, a lot of judges already see the current fines as being to high for the crime so they instead plea bargain these cases down resulting in reduced charges and therefore lesser fines being paid. I don't see this new law ending the very accepted practice of plea bargaining down any criminal charges. Except for those involved in the outdoors, not many people, including judges, see poaching, as the same can be said of many other forms of illegal activity, as a major criminal offense.

i know that got brought up in the other thread but i think why charges get pleaded down are miss understood.  first the fines now are much less than what this makes them.  this bill has even gotten watered down to pass it.  it was more.  right now fines are low enough and can be pleaded down a certain way where local towns get more of the money versus more going the state.  DA office and judge together can only give and accept a plea that's pleaded down so much.  otherwise it looks really bad and would lead to bad PR.  local judges can't take that much bad PR and not fear getting losing endorsement, let alone getting elected in the future.

this without doubt will benefit all hunters in NY state.  poachers not so much.

• Like 1