First food plot

So I am looking at a new hunting camp in Sullivan county, after checking out our first choice I noticed that the soil seems to be very firm almost clay like, any suggestions on what to plant? Also the place is mostly wooded, with only 3 acers cleared right around the house, there is a stream that runs through the property and the river bed seems to offer some really good soil, would it be a bad idea to plant right along the river bed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first thing to do is decide where you are going to plant, which needs to be based on available sunlight, or where you can clear the trees and brush to open it up, deer travel routes, bedding areas, etc. After that, do a soil test to see what you will need for fertilizer, etc. We usually start new plots out with Winter Rye for a year or two. It is great for feeding and attracting deer, but the best parts are that it allows time for the brush and tree roots to die, it breaks up the soil a bit, and it grows anywhere so not a ton of fertilizer or lime needed to get it going. Oh, and its cheap. Year 2 or 3 after clearing is when we start getting into other things like brassicas, etc.

Thats just how we do it.

just as wny said... light, soil content. if the soil is real tough to get through try some dakin radish. 12 in plus edible tap root, will seek out cracks in rock and compact soil and break things up. a good anti weed plant will grow very aggressive. becomes palatable after it freezes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

plant winter grains..you will be fine mid September.

. I would but the plot area isn't even cleared yet, I don't think I want to start cutting down trees, pulling stumps tilling exct a few weeks before bow season....... I'll just hunt the line right next to the neighbors 30 acer corn field

I understand...I would hinge cut some of those trees where you want to clear for the food plot...you would have a food plot this fall!

. I would but the plot area isn't even cleared yet, I don't think I want to start cutting down trees, pulling stumps tilling exct a few weeks before bow season....... I'll just hunt the line right next to the neighbors 30 acer corn field

• Like 1

Actually  you could ask the owner seeing there is a date for closing if he would allow you to go in and ,not cut, but mow and spray around the trees where you want the plot...It never hurts to ask if you are on good terms through the closing process..maybe even till up the area and spread the lime ...You just need to have confidence that it will close if you invest in the lime and spray,time......

We were in a spot with this place and the owner allowed us to move a bunch of our stuff into the basement a few weeks before closing...they weren't living here and gave us the keys...the basement had a separate entrance...