Fixing A/C Units

DirtTime

OK, here's the facts. We had two working window a/c units, and bought a third when we bought the new home. The latest was one of those indoor floor models and it blew out in less then two weeks. That one was exchanged for a third window unit.

In the past three weeks, both of our a few years old window units started spewing freon.

Side note: WTF! Who has three a/c units die in three weeks? Some bad mojo going on!

So, to my question, how do I check for a leak? 

Generally leaks are repaired by brazing with a torch then the system needs to be drawn into a vacuum with a vacuum pump and then the refrigerant should be weighed back in. All the equipment would cost way more than a new one

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

To properly repair a Freon leak, after you find it you would have to evacuate the system with a reclaimer, fix the leak, put the system in a 30 inch vacuum and recharge.  To find the leak you can listen for it, use soap bubbles, or use a commercial leak detector.  Sometimes you'll see oil where the leak is. 

Thank you for the replies Jmp209. I will just replace it next year. For the rest of this summer in the back of the house it will be the ceiling fan and some floor fans.

Yea unfortunately it's a throwaway society, it's easier and cheaper to replace most appliances instead of repairing them

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

These units only hold a pound or 2 of Freon.  I'm assuming they are R-22 Freon, which is hard to smell unless you get a large dose of it.  If the leak was that big all the gas would be out of the system and not cool at all.  I know I'm not there to observe the fog and smell, but I'm thinking it's not a Freon leak. 

Don't want to sound dumb but could the unit be freezing up? I've had them freeze and spit out a kind of icy mist along with a smell. Just turned the unit to fan and let it de-ice for awhile and then was fine. Not sure that is your problem though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grampy said:

Don't want to sound dumb but could the unit be freezing up? I've had them freeze and spit out a kind of icy mist along with a smell. Just turned the unit to fan and let it de-ice for awhile and then was fine. Not sure that is your problem though.

I will give that a try tomorrow.

I really hoped it was the rain causing it, but it wasn't.

It's a mobile home. Just under 1000 square feet. All of them had sensors for the the filter, but I still just cleaned them every few days. I will try the fan method tomorrow. See if that helps.

I really was just hoping to be able to repair something rather then replace it. 

15 minutes ago, grampy said:

Also be sure to have it tipped back enough to drain the water from condensation. Otherwise the fan spins in a puddle of water wich can cause other problems. I've had a few AC problems over the years too!

Both are tipped back. Learned that a long time ago.