Prevailing Wind Direction

5 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I suppos

e this could be taken as a joke, but when the winds/thermals start to swirl around while I'm in an otherwise good spot I generally just shift my attention and focus upwind to accommodate the change. :rolleyes:

I agree.

The deer don't ALWAYS follow the age old "script".  They'll come from whatever the heck direction THEY want, when THEY want. 

You set your stand/blind/truck facing into the wind, expecting the deer to come from a direction advantageous to you.  Whether you're watching a single trail, intersection of multiple trails,  a valley of open fields or section of woods; you play the wind according to a number of factors THAT day.

Weather reports are where you start.......If you are traveling to your spot via your Porsche, note American Flags, home chimneys etc.  Both are good indicators of what you should encounter.  Once you get to your area, flick your Bic or Zippo for a quick indication of wind direction or to confirm your earlier thoughts/observations.  While your on your way to your chosen location,  continue to flick your lighter or put a puff of powder into the air for a quick look see.  Also, often times the best indicator is your own breath if the temps are cool enough.  From a tree stand, I typically use a tiny piece of paper towel (multi-purpose/never leave the truck/home without item) dropped to the ground to see wind directions.  Just float a little piece the size of an ant out there and see WTH is happening.

Go kill 'em Bizzy!

• Like 1

I agree.

The deer don't ALWAYS follow the age old "script".  They'll come from whatever the heck direction THEY want, when THEY want. 

You set your stand/blind/truck facing into the wind, expecting the deer to come from a direction advantageous to you.  Whether you're watching a single trail, intersection of multiple trails,  a valley of open fields or section of woods; you play the wind according to a number of factors THAT day.

Weather reports are where you start.......If you are traveling to your spot via your Porsche, note American Flags, home chimneys etc.  Both are good indicators of what you should encounter.  Once you get to your area, flick your Bic or Zippo for a quick indication of wind direction or to confirm your earlier thoughts/observations.  While your on your way to your chosen location,  continue to flick your lighter or put a puff of powder into the air for a quick look see.  Also, often times the best indicator is your own breath if the temps are cool enough.  From a tree stand, I typically use a tiny piece of paper towel (multi-purpose/never leave the truck/home without item) dropped to the ground to see wind directions.  Just float a little piece the size of an ant out there and see WTH is happening.

Go kill 'em Bizzy!

Can't I just rig a gun to my cell cam and do it remotely? Lol jk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well hereceived is what you do. Get a jAR of.bubbles and go to your plot with a known wind direction sw for example. Walk around the field and blow bubbles watch them. Note the time of day and how the bubbles floated. 

Go back dawn and dusk with same wind and do it again . Then with a nw wind ,ect.  Make a bubble map, just because you have a sw wind doesn't mean I n that field the wind will be from south west ,elevation ,trees,dropouts, ravines ,all change prevailing wind.. 

I had to do this on a back side of a hill as my normal winds are sw or nw.. but on the backside the wind crests the hill and flows back up the hill in a west direction but there is a spot where the west winds come over the hill and continue east.. I was hunting it and my scent was blowing back into the bedding area, now I know I have to stay where prevailing winds carery.my scent away.

Blowing bubbles every 30 yards is tiresome you may want to get a kids electric bubble gun

• Like 2